Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fractured ankle not healing properly!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

I fractured my ankle over a month ago and I can tell somethings not right with it. Seems like it should be at least on its way to healing and it still gives me GREAT discomfort! My MIL told me that if it doesn't heal correctly the doc might have to rebreak it and it kinda got me freaked out, i'm not sure if that's whats really gonna happen but thought i'd ask. Does anyone know what normally happens when a fracture doesn't heal the right way?? I'd appreciate any advice! I HURTS sooooo bad!!!!!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
newagemom700
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM

your MIL is correct, If the bone sets, or heals wrong, they will have to re-break/reset it. I had to have this done with my foot...it hurts like hell, but its worth it, especially if its causing you pain. and when its sets in the wrong place, especially the ankle, if you step down on it wrong it could break again, and cause permanent damage....I would def. have someone look at it.....

kk_bella
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Hmm, I don't know.

I broke both of my arms twice, and fractured one of them once. After the initial few weeks, it was just itchy, not painful.

I do believe they will have to rebreak it, however I think you will be under anesthesia so I wouldn't freak out too much about that..

LeslieSS
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Yep it will have to be rebroken, if its not healing right. Did you have any protection around it when walking?

melissa632
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM

they will re-break it and set it properly. did you have it casted or splinted when it happened? when i broke mine i walked around on it for 12 hours insisting it was only sprained. i made the problem worse and now have a plate and 3 screws in my ankle. i spent months in a cast and a boot. you should get it x-rayed and fixed. the longer wait, the worse off you will be.  

newmom28
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I thought I sprained it, but had it x rayed and found out I fractured it, I have an aircast i've been wearing but I swear its getting worse!
Its already been almost a month and something just doesnt feel right!!!

Se7enTh1rt3en
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

In the course of one year, I had TWO second-degree sprains on my left ankle.  (This happened 6-7 years ago, btw.)  The doctor told me I should've broken it - as it would have a better chance at healing properly.  She told me it might never heal.  To this day, I still have to wear an ankle brace at times cause the pain is so bad and I feel like I'm just gonna collapse without the extra support.  It sucks.

I would go see a doctor and ask him/her if there's anything that can be done about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)