Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Special Needs Child....I NEED YOU MOMMA"S!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

Take a deep breath...I am not saying anything about anyones child....

I am currently taking a class for my Early Childhood degree and i need some info from some of the mommy's with children who have special needs, disabilities, diseases....ect.

I have to chose which disability, desease, disorder, ect. I want to do a full thesis paper on and i would like to know FROM THE MOTHERS point of view what is the challenge, for not only the child but for you (as the parent) and your family. What have you has to sacrifice? and how does your child view themselves?

Please, I dont want to offend anyone, I could not imagine the struggle and do not want to degrade anyone by anymeans! I just want some info from personal experiences..not text book.

Thank you ladies in advance.....

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kristoph61
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM

My daughter who is 13 has bipolar with psychosis.  Being the mother of a 13 year old teen is hard enough let alone being the mother who has bipolar with psychosis herself and having to raise a child with the same is very hard and tiring.  There are dr appointments, therapy, psych evaulations and not only do I have to watch her every evening taking meds but I also have to watch the things she gets herself into.  Not only do I deal with that but I also have a son who is 11 with a rare form of dyslexia and hearing problems.  Also, he is 11 however he has the mind in some cases of a child who just turned 9-10 years old due to some of the issues he had as a baby i.e. pnuemonia, brain surgery, stomach surgery and the list goes on.  Im constantly at some appointment with my children and for myself.  I have to take care of my medical issues in order to healthy wise be there for the both of them!  It is very tiring and makes for long days to where I cherish the free days when things are going well!  I hope this helps and I can go on and on however if you need anymore insight to my world; check out my blog http://mysweetsimplicity.blogspot.com/

newagemom700
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Thank you! My mother is bipolar so I have a slight idea of the issues related. How does your DD and DS view themselves? I mean does your daughter think she is living a normal life of a teenager or is she aware that not all children have to go through this? and your DS, does he get down on himself for needing the extra help, for instance in school?.....

tigerlily721
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

My kids have autism.

The first challenge was overcoming the depression I felt so I could focus enough to help my kids.

The second was figuring out which treatments are helpful and which ones are, well, bogus. Doctors know very little about autism, so it's been an experimental process to see what is effective treatment. (So far ABA therapy , the Greenspan method, and eliminating allergens has been most beneficial).

Thirdly, I've sadly found that we don't fit in anywhere. I don't feel right attending church if my kids don't have a place there. My friends with kids talk of their children's accomplishments; I honestly feel it's a different world they are experiencing.

My marriage is awful (85% of couples with special needs kids end up getting divorced), although from the posts I read on cafemom I don't think I am alone in this. Marriage is difficult for everyone.

I'm not sure how my kids view themselves. People will be mean to anyone. I'm hoping that by giving our kids enough love at home that they won't begin to question their worth when other kids pick on them (our kids are 5 and almost 4).

newagemom700
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

so when you say depression did it stem from you blaming yourself? and have your children ever asked "why are people staring at me?" I know people are cruel and I dont know where it went, but it seems people have no compassion anymore either. That is why I want to write my paper not on facts and medications but more on a personal level of the parents and what it ACTUALLY is like, not what doctors and research says.....and if this isnt too personal, and excuse me if it is, but what specifically (applied to your children) has effected your marriage? I know marriage can go wrong in any situation....but how does it apply to the children? (not blaming the children...) Is it just the stress of everything that has drifted you and DH?

Quoting tigerlily721:

My kids have autism.

The first challenge was overcoming the depression I felt so I could focus enough to help my kids.

The second was figuring out which treatments are helpful and which ones are, well, bogus. Doctors know very little about autism, so it's been an experimental process to see what is effective treatment. (So far ABA therapy , the Greenspan method, and eliminating allergens has been most beneficial).

Thirdly, I've sadly found that we don't fit in anywhere. I don't feel right attending church if my kids don't have a place there. My friends with kids talk of their children's accomplishments; I honestly feel it's a different world they are experiencing.

My marriage is awful (85% of couples with special needs kids end up getting divorced), although from the posts I read on cafemom I don't think I am alone in this. Marriage is difficult for everyone.

I'm not sure how my kids view themselves. People will be mean to anyone. I'm hoping that by giving our kids enough love at home that they won't begin to question their worth when other kids pick on them (our kids are 5 and almost 4).

newagemom700
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)