Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Airline tickets

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: When should I buy my plane tickets?

Options:

Now

Closer to the holidays

Other (Explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

When is the best time to buy our tickets to fly home for Christmas? Closer to the date, or now? When!? ARGH! I'm getting conflicting results.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ariannasmom114
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM

if i were u i would get them now if u can because its cheaper to buy them eariler specially for christmas the hike the prices up so much cause they know people will be flying home to see their familys with them its always the earlier the better

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Buy them now!  The price is only going to go up the longer you wait.  It will be expensive anyway just because of the time frame.  My parents and sister are coming out in December and for the 3 of them, their tickets were $1500.  That's the cheapest deal I could find.  That is for a cross-country flight though.  It's expensive!

theRonimal
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Bumpity bump bump.

greenie63
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I used to work for a major airline as a reservation agent so i can be of some help. It's too early now. Typically looking for the best fares would start mid to late sept for holiday tickets. This can be very tricky though. Airlines withhold seats for future sales because they know they fill a plane that's why it's too early now. Start shopping and comparing airlines though. There are some that will send you alerts of sales. A few tips to lower your fare, fly mid week with a sat night stay what's considered off peak. Also steer clear of hotwire, priceline unless you are set in stone with the dates because the tickets are very restrictive. Consider flying into alternative airports to lower a fare too. When are traveling and from what city to what city?

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I've found the cheapest day to fly is Wednesday.  That's what I do, but my parents had to fly on a weekend due to work so it's more expensive.  I always book through Expedia.  I search all the websites, including the airlines and typically they are the cheapest or at least comparable.  Never had an issue thus far.  Oh well, my parents did not want to wait until September, trying to get 3 people on the same flights was hard enough.  $500 each for cross-country isn't too bad considering it's the holidays. 

Quoting greenie63:

I used to work for a major airline as a reservation agent so i can be of some help. It's too early now. Typically looking for the best fares would start mid to late sept for holiday tickets. This can be very tricky though. Airlines withhold seats for future sales because they know they fill a plane that's why it's too early now. Start shopping and comparing airlines though. There are some that will send you alerts of sales. A few tips to lower your fare, fly mid week with a sat night stay what's considered off peak. Also steer clear of hotwire, priceline unless you are set in stone with the dates because the tickets are very restrictive. Consider flying into alternative airports to lower a fare too. When are traveling and from what city to what city?

theRonimal
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I'm flying from Shaw AFB SC 29152 to Sheridan WY 82801. There are several different air port options, so I'm having to do a lot of research! Thank you for your help!! 

Quoting greenie63:

greenie63
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Yep mid week is usually cheaper. Expedia is a very reliable site and the airlines will work with the tickets. I've seen fares all over the board flying various locations. I remember years ago the week for thanksgiving we had a sale called eat and go LOL, you had to leave on thanksgving morning and return the next day hence the eat and go term LOL. The tickets were dirt cheap! people went bonkers over the price and the planes were full! I know a lot of passengers would pay for the peace of mind knowing they booked their flights. One more thing, sometimes when you book early there can be flight schedule changes (i hated these, usually made people very angry and a lot of people would be so mad we'd have to refund the tickets if it was a drastic change in time).

Quoting butterflyblu:

I've found the cheapest day to fly is Wednesday.  That's what I do, but my parents had to fly on a weekend due to work so it's more expensive.  I always book through Expedia.  I search all the websites, including the airlines and typically they are the cheapest or at least comparable.  Never had an issue thus far.  Oh well, my parents did not want to wait until September, trying to get 3 people on the same flights was hard enough.  $500 each for cross-country isn't too bad considering it's the holidays. 

Quoting greenie63:

greenie63
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM

what dates and how many people?

Quoting theRonimal:

I'm flying from Shaw AFB SC 29152 to Sheridan WY 82801. There are several different air port options, so I'm having to do a lot of research! Thank you for your help!! 

Quoting greenie63:

greenie63
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I've with been playing dates 12/22-12/29, first departing from charleston to sheridan and the fare was 866 per person. then from charleston to billings ( larger airport) and it went down to $644 per person. last i  did raliegh durham to bil and it's $614 per person.  See what I mean about trying different airports (even if it's a drive)? Also the high fares tell me the airlines are withholding seats. I then picked an airline and tried to view the seat map and that's a clear sign meaning they are definitely withholding seats, they don't even have the equipment (type of plane) assigned yet!! Hope I helped.

Quoting theRonimal:

Quoting greenie63:

serioussifL
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Yapta.com  tracks your flight, and sends you emails when the price drops. check it out.

I am a breastfeeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)