Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do YOU change your older baby in public?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM
  • 18 Replies

my daughter has always been very large and long for her age, so she hasnt fit on one of those infant changing tables since she was about 6 months old, and even before that i never thought they were safe, u could fall out even with the straps, but since she can roll over or sit up, i havent used one. i try to put on a fresh diaper right before i leave the house, and wait till i get home to change her, unless she poops, i dont stay out shopping more than a couple of hours. so if i have to change her i have to lay her on the nasty bathroom floor! what do u do?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle2080
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

What about in a dressing room?? 

kk_bella
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I don't think those things are safe for babies of any size. I also don't think they are very convenient/logistical for the mom.

I put them on a towel on the floor or I take them out to the car or even a dressing room and put the diaper in a plastic bag that I keep in my diaper bag.

But I also change them before we go into a store to try avoid that whole situation.

I admit though, I have changed my younger child right in the middle of a store when I was having a really horrible day and just needed to do it right away.

wagnerswifee21
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Can she stand up? When my DD was little, and I was in a public place, I wld have her stand, inside a stall for privacy, and change her. I hate those public changing tables too, too many germs for me! If I didn't have a plastic take along pad to cover the changing table w, it turned into a longer process than needed b/c I wld have to distinfect the damn thing! LOL

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Oh, and I change my kids in the car alot of the times.....even if I have to walk back out of the store to do it 

3greatkids751
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

If she can stand up try it that way.. if not DONT lay her on the bathroom floor hun... OMG u wouldn't believe the amount of germs and whatever else is on that floor.. invest in a changing pad from walmart if you HAVE too.. they have disposable ones as well.. but if there is no changing pad available or a changing station I go into a stall and change her w/ her standing up.. she may not be FULLY clean but it will do until you get home.. GL mama and I know what a pain in the butt it is.. we travel alot and changing stations are not always available..

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!

pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL Blinkie

Proud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

3greatkids751
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Oh and I forgot to add.. I have done this before too..

Quoting Michelle2080:

Oh, and I change my kids in the car alot of the times.....even if I have to walk back out of the store to do it 

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!

pregnancy

Double.L
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

When they were babies I changed them in the car, or put about a million paper towels down on the changing station, once they could stand either the car still or I'll bring them into the handicapped stall and change them standing up.

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

AngelRT
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I changed my kids in the car! I also NEVER laid my kids on either the changing table or the floor. GROSS! sorry jmo!

Quoting Michelle2080:

3greatkids751
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I have noticed this as well.. I layed Madison on one the other day and I didnt like how it just HANGS there off the wall like that.. it doesnt look safe, I just think its a damn accident waiting to happen.. I had ahold of her the whole time incase something were to ever happen...

Quoting kk_bella:

I don't think those things are safe for babies of any size. I also don't think they are very convenient/logistical for the mom.

I put them on a towel on the floor or I take them out to the car or even a dressing room and put the diaper in a plastic bag that I keep in my diaper bag.

But I also change them before we go into a store to try avoid that whole situation.

I admit though, I have changed my younger child right in the middle of a store when I was having a really horrible day and just needed to do it right away.

pregnancy

steffie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

i will take that walk to the car and change them there, i have always done that and thought that was the normal thing to do.. unless they are tiny they go out to the car, no way would i put them down on the floor

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)