Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you start potty training?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son is 17 months old (just turned) and i was thinking about getting him a little potty, because everytime i go to the bathroom he comes with me, and even says "pee" when i do, lol, but i don't want to push him if its too early. he grabs his diaper if hes pooped or peed and he thinks the bathroom and the toilet in general are facinating. You think it could be time? Or is it too early? When did your kids start?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mirandar2001
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

By all means, buy him one. I started potty training DD at 18 months. 

AngelRT
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I began introducing the potty as soon as my kids began to walk!

My kids were completely potty trained by 2! Now, with that said...my daughter does still have accidents at night b/c she is a really heavy sleeper!

newagemom700
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

My DS is 16 months and i would liek to know too! He pulls at his diaper when wet and pulls his pants down, but can not tell me whenhe has to go potty.......BUMP!

Marvynsmama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM

It would be so awesome if I could potty train by two!! lol, they say babies are less stubborn before 2 year mark.

Quoting AngelRT:

I began introducing the potty as soon as my kids began to walk!

My kids were completely potty trained by 2! Now, with that said...my daughter does still have accidents at night b/c she is a really heavy sleeper!

starrymonkey
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

DS will be 2 in November and I'm thinking it's time.  He's constantly trying to run around naked lately!  But aside from that, I'm not sure if it's time.  He has a potty, and he'll sit on it for a few seconds, but that's about it.  He absolutely loves to put toilet paper in the toilet and flush it, and he'll pat his diaper when he wants it changed.  But he doesn't talk yet, and he never warns me when he has to go, he just does.  I'm not sure if he's ready or not.  Good luck to you though!!

"Shh... Mommy doesn't know I'm a rockstar!"

TamaraAnn888
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

With my daughter we tried at 18 months and 24 months but she was not ready,then we tried before she turned 3 and she was doing great with it but stopped all of a sudden and refused to go and would freak out when we tried to get her to now shes 3 1/2 and has been going pee on the potty for over a month but poop is another story.She freaks out when she has to poop and I put her on it then she jumps off the potty and ends up pooping on the floor or she poops in her big panties.I am very proud of her though and my now 17 month old seems to be ready so I will be starting with him soon.

hm61686
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I started at 18 months and he was doing well... Then we moved and he wanted nothing 2 do with it.. He'll be 3 in Dec and we're currently trying again.

mommyoftwo103
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I started when DD started making her first steps, she's 2 and fully potty trained. :) not even overnighters.

CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I got him a potty when he was 2 but he didn't really like it... In Mar. of this year I started trying with pull ups ( he turned 3 in June) for week we did pull ups and he was getting it but still pooping in a diaper ( nap and bed) so I did the 3 day potty training method..

I didn't give him any drink a few hours before bed... once he was dry in a diaper for a few nights ( the first 3 I tried for him) I took all pull ups and diapers away... We got undies and I took him to the potty every 15-30mins to try.. We has  fruit snack and called everyone, danced around having a party every time he went.... Poop was a bit harder he was pooping his pants but I noticed it was the same time everyday so I would take him in the bathroom around that time and read or sing and wait... He would go and it wasn't but a few days when he was going on his own..

It took him less than a week to be completly day and night trained ( we took a road trip the 1st of May and he did great- 13 hours in the car, each way)

Good Luck- it wouldn't hurt to try my son was SO NOT READY then but yours might just don't be frustrated if it doesn't work right away..

Erica

a wedding website

kristanBellasMa
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I would say get him a potty chair and let him try it out. If he regresses than do not push him. I have heard from a ton of people that boys are much harder to potty train than girls. My dd is potty trained and she is 20 months. However we started early and when she regressed when I went back to work I didn't care. I knew it was because I went back to work. And now she is doing great again. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)