Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breaking in on my disabled grandmother

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

My grandmother has been broken in on 2 times this week. She has Multiple Sclerosis since 1975 and it's taken toll on her.
They have a golden retreiver that is supposed to be the gaurd dog, but he is too darn friendly.
My aunt was home the first time and was able to go get the police (Because 911 put them on hold for 15 minutes before they hung up) But she is only off 2 days a week and isn't home much at night either because she is a single mom and goes to college and my cousin is in lots of sports.
She has the push button, but was scared to use it both times because it is so loud, she didn't want to set the intruders off.
My aunt is selling the house, but is there anything out there to help keep this from happening again? My aunt has the shot gun beside my mommoms chair, but she wouldn't be able to lift it or pull the trigger. She is too weak!

ramadan mubarak

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

ambersmommy730
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

See about hiring someone to sit with her at night when she's home alone. Good luck!!!

CafeMom Tickers
NO1LKME3
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I agree with the other poster.  Having a sitter at night might help.  Maybe even trading up her guard dog.  There is no sure way to stop violence. 

I am sorry your family is dealing with this.

Candie~~~

I have been a mom for 17+ years....I have been there, done that, seen it all and probably have the scars to prove it.

~We wanted to do a domestic open adoption so our daughter could know her birthfamily. Our daughters birthmother chose not to abort her, how could we abort our daughters birthmother from our lives.~

CrozCryz
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Wow, that's scary!  I'm not sure how many family members are close by, is there enough that you all could take turns staying with her for now?  Maybe get her another dog, like a husky or german shepherd?  My husky is friendly with us, but when a stranger comes to the door she loses her mind and no one would ever have the gutts to enter with her mean snarl, evil growling, etc... golden retriever's are simply too adorable and sweet to scare someone off in my opinion. 

But what really bother's me about this is 911 putting them on hold for 15 minutes... if 911 ever has to put someone on hold at all, you'd think that would be a clue to them that they need a few more dispatchers! 

alwaysyoung
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM

bump

isra1986
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

My dad and step mom live down the street, but they never do anything for her! I live about an hour away, and am goin over everyday, but my DD gets on her nerves (It's part of the MS, she can't take too much movement and toddler like actions, lol) The Dog usually does bark and go crazy, but all you have to do is say "Sit" and he does!
The dispatcher got written up!

Quoting CrozCryz:

Wow, that's scary!  I'm not sure how many family members are close by, is there enough that you all could take turns staying with her for now?  Maybe get her another dog, like a husky or german shepherd?  My husky is friendly with us, but when a stranger comes to the door she loses her mind and no one would ever have the gutts to enter with her mean snarl, evil growling, etc... golden retriever's are simply too adorable and sweet to scare someone off in my opinion. 

But what really bother's me about this is 911 putting them on hold for 15 minutes... if 911 ever has to put someone on hold at all, you'd think that would be a clue to them that they need a few more dispatchers! 

ramadan mubarak

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)