Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 1/2 week old baby!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so my little boy will be 3 weeks old on monday and for the past week hes been acting like hes starving he eats every 3 hours about 3 oz''s but lately hes been wanting more acting like hes hungry and we have been having some LONG nights hes  very cranky at night and he usually is a good baby so I dont know whats the deal hes getting over thrush so could that be some of the reason hes cranky?  I also got a 2 year old so with the way things are going i been running on minutes of sleep literally ! so any advice would GREATLY be appreciated! Im trying to get my lil man into the doc waiting for them to call back!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elleinad
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Sounds like a completely normal 2.5 week old baby. Hang in there, it gets better.

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

jagrus
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM

if you are breastfeeding, make sure your not eating gassy foods and no cofee or soda pop, no caffeine, then get mylicon gas drops.  

LeanneC
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Growth spurt.  Feed him when he's hungry.   Are you formula feeding, or pumping?  Because if you're pumping and can get him to actually nurse, you will get a lot more sleep by sleeping with him... Heck, even if you're formula feeding and you can get him to latch, you can get a lot more sleep! 

Mommy2Two4Now
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM

that's a lot of milk! Not saying it in a bad way, just suprised.. my newborns ate only 1-1.5 onces at  that age.. every couple hours!! Could it be he's eating too much per feeding... may he's cranky cuz his belly hurts.. Just a thought.. if possible feed him less at a time but more frequently.

~~~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~~~

DaisyAg2003
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM

That is normal!!!  it's a growth spurt...he will hit about at 6 weeks and another at 3 months!  Feed him when he is hungry...you'll notice the amount increase!

DaisyAg2003
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I also want to say....been there done that!  It will get better.  Make sure you burp him when he is finished eating and even while he is eating.

Quoting xaviersmamacita:

Ok so my little boy will be 3 weeks old on monday and for the past week hes been acting like hes starving he eats every 3 hours about 3 oz''s but lately hes been wanting more acting like hes hungry and we have been having some LONG nights hes  very cranky at night and he usually is a good baby so I dont know whats the deal hes getting over thrush so could that be some of the reason hes cranky?  I also got a 2 year old so with the way things are going i been running on minutes of sleep literally ! so any advice would GREATLY be appreciated! Im trying to get my lil man into the doc waiting for them to call back!

cadeesmommy0120
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Cadee did that around the same time.  I gave her some mylicon and she was ok....her tummy was just upset and gassy

quirkyMOMof2
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM

agreed completely normal.... I think 3 hours is great for that age. My son at that age was drinking 5 oz every 3. his doc said it was fine.

mommyto3bees
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM

feed him whenever he is hungry!!

bxp10070
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

When my baby is cranky for whatever reason (hungry, gassy, tired, "who knows?") I use gripe water.  It works wonders for my little man.  Within minutes he is calmer, seems happier and, if he's tired, drifts off to sleep.  There are lot's of different kinds of Grip water out there.  A bottle is between $10 and $20 depending on the brand.  I like Babies Bliss the best ($13/bottle).  I didn't like Colic Calm despite the rave reviews.  It is $18/bottle and is black-it stains everything unless you wash it right away.  Babies Bliss worked just as well and is clear in color.  You can use it up to 6/times a day.  It is natural and safe but does contain Sodium Bicarb (baking Soda). If you use it excesively it can change the pH in your baby's body and cause side effects so I always stick to no more than the recommended dose and only use it when I've tried other things first.  I've never had a problem and it gives me (and the LO) some much needed rest. I hope it helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)