Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Projectiles in Vehicles...How do I pack my van?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

We're going down the shore for the week tomorrow. I have a lot of stuff to pack into our van and I need some ideas on how to secure everything I'm bringing. I have a 7 passenger, Chevy G30 conversion van with one bench seat and 4 captain's chairs. I have 2 Graco Snugride infant seats in the back and a Graco Nautilus. The middle captain's chairs have a Graco Nautilus and a Cosco Scenera. There are small storage compartments around the top of the van and next to the tv and dvd player. There are also small spaces under the captain's chairs and storage pockets behind all the seats. I have already stored the 3 (12 pack) cans of soda and 10 packages of juice boxes under the bench seat in the back. The heavy duty jumper cables are also under there. I think I can fit the rest of the groceries under there. So I'll still have a large boogie board, a double stroller, a triple stroller, a playard, a big blue tub of clothes, a large suitcase, 4 small bins of toys, and a large cooler. How would you pack this stuff and secure it?  We have plenty of bungie cords laying around. The strollers definitely have to go in the back. Any help would be appreciated. Here are pics of the back and inside of my van.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prego7386
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM

well you could figure out how to use the bungee cords and they also make cargo nets. we have been looking at a honda pilot and they come with the netting but you can buy them too. i can really tell you how to tie the cords though because i cant see it up close and personal to find little nooks and stuff for the hooks to tie too..maybe you can secure them to bars under the seats?

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I think I'll go to Pep Boys today and see if I can buy a heavy duty cargo net. That's a good idea.

Quoting prego7386:

well you could figure out how to use the bungee cords and they also make cargo nets. we have been looking at a honda pilot and they come with the netting but you can buy them too. i can really tell you how to tie the cords though because i cant see it up close and personal to find little nooks and stuff for the hooks to tie too..maybe you can secure them to bars under the seats?

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

No one else? I need some more ideas. Maybe a better idea for packing a weeks worth of clothes for 5 kids and diapers for 2 kids?

lucky2bemom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

wow that's a lot of stuff...

I do van training and stress the importance of not over loading your vehicle.  And you dearie sound like a ball of overload.  But I guess you absolutely NEED every little article you are taking so the best this is to use those cords and tire everything down.  The board should go outside straped down so that should not be too bad but it really sounds like you are over packing.

Please don't let me rain on your parade I just am very careful and scared of these things.

KandiceN
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Overpacking saved my friends kids lives!  They got rear-ended by a semi truck, but the back of the van was so packed it took most the force and the kids were just knocked around a little.  The police said that had the back been empty the semi could have come up and hit the kids!

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad they're ok. It makes me feel better about all my stuff!

Quoting KandiceN:

Overpacking saved my friends kids lives!  They got rear-ended by a semi truck, but the back of the van was so packed it took most the force and the kids were just knocked around a little.  The police said that had the back been empty the semi could have come up and hit the kids!

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I actually cut out a lot of stuff this year, lol! I used to buy groceries down the shore, but it got too expensive. I need the strollers because my kids range in age from 7 weeks to 6 years and it's more for their safety so I can keep an eye on them on the boardwalk. I obviously need clothes, diapers, and wipes. The boogie board might be able to go in my mom's trunk. The kid's need some toys. The bins they are bringing are the size of a shoe box.

Quoting lucky2bemom:

wow that's a lot of stuff...

I do van training and stress the importance of not over loading your vehicle.  And you dearie sound like a ball of overload.  But I guess you absolutely NEED every little article you are taking so the best this is to use those cords and tire everything down.  The board should go outside straped down so that should not be too bad but it really sounds like you are over packing.

Please don't let me rain on your parade I just am very careful and scared of these things.

slpydpy6
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Just from looking at what your van looks like and what you said you are bringing.  This is only if you can get the rest of your grocery's under the bench seat.  I would see if you could stand the strollers up and strap them in place which then should give you enough room in the back to stack the totes beside them.  Then you could place the suitcase on top of the largest tote along with the pack and play.  The cooler you could probly squeeze in between the bench seat and one of the captin's chairs.  The boogie board depending on size could either be slid in beside the seats as long as it doesn't get in the way of the doors it would be secured, if not the strap it to the roof of the van.  I don't know the measurments of the back of the van or the size of the largest tote to know if this would  work or not but that's how I would do it just from looking at the pics.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I normally don't tie anything down when I travel. I have an explorer but i do but things under and in front of the seats. My kids are still little 2 and 3 so i normally lift them into the car anyways. I fold up my 3rd row and shove crap down there. I always over pack also just in case. Have you thought about getting a carrier for the top of the car. Two can fit on my car and then i have a 3rd for my husbands car. We move alot so they are a godsed.

cmb121906
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Nets and bungee cords. As for trying to compact your stuff, what about those space saver bags where you shove a bunch of clothes in there and then suck the air out. Make sure to keep all heavy stuff on the bottom and only soft loose things on top.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)