Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you guys go to the ER for?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM
  • 91 Replies

I work in the ER and I notice that about 8 out of 10 patients should not be here, So I am just curious if anyone out there uses the ER for their doctors office. A lot of our pt's come in here for colds or flu's.  I never understood our health care was so damn bad off until I worked here.  I also now know why I get paid crap money.... MOST people have no intentions of paying their bill...  

So come on ladies, what justifies a ER visit for you?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grantsmommy23
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I hate the ER and avoid it at all costs.  I only go if my dr isn't open and it's serious.  I go to Solantic (urgent care) before I go to the ER.  I've been to the ER only twice in the past five years.  Once for having severe abdominal pains (turned out I needed my appendix removed) and the other for dizziness that lasted for a few hours.  That turned out to be vitiligo (sp?) and a positive pregnancy test. lol 

musicangl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM

umm.. i have no insurance so i had no choice but i went because i have strep throat. and was throwing up so bad i couldnt even keep down liquids.. had to have an iv..specially since im preg. luckily ive applied for medicaid and they will take care of the er visit.. i dont go unless necessary.. before 2 days ago last time i went was sept 06 because my husband headbutted me hard enough i had to have 9 stitches while i was 6 months preg with our 2 yr old.

xotammyxox67
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

And those are complete emergencies.  I have so many people come in here for colds... I always look at them and go WHAT???? Seriously? 

KandiceN

Lets see.. the few times we've gone its been..

I've had Kidney stones.. several times.

I passed out at work once and they made me go.

Daughter had a temp of 103 at 11 weeks old and the pedi made us go there

Daughter fell down the stairs and hit her head..

I cut the side of my hand with a steak knife and the skin was gaping.. and urgent care was closed.

Oh and bleeding when pregnant, but we went to L&D.

I would never go if I was just sick or something

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

isra1986

Broken bones, any severe pain, any big cuts that will require stitches!
I hate the ER. Most of the workers in my local hospital are rude! DH got a hernia and they wanted to tell him he is faking. He was doubled over and had a huge bulge coming out of his groin, but he was faking.

ramadan mubarak

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Well I was having chest pains on August 3rd and went to the ER .. I have no insurance so I wouldn't go just for the hell of it.  I hated to go even then but I was scared and kept telling myself it's better to be safe than sorry!  I've rushed Naeem to the ER quite a few times because he was unable to breath and he ended up needing breathing treatments because his home treatments weren't helping.

elleinad
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Often if you go into the ER you can get treated, seen, given medication on site, and get a bill that you can petition the hospital to forgive based on your income. It doesn't surprise me that people use it for their medical care.

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Our ER visits have only been for serious things:

1. Fever over 105 degrees
  2. Stitches
  3. Fall from 2nd floor balcony
  4. Seizure
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Wow I didn't know that!

Quoting elleinad:

Often if you go into the ER you can get treated, seen, given medication on site, and get a bill that you can petition the hospital to forgive based on your income. It doesn't surprise me that people use it for their medical care.

southernjess3
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM

some peoples drs offices are closed..or all full of appointments..ill take the kids..this year weve had a pneumonia, stitches, respitory infection, ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)