Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kittens have fleas! HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

We are adopting two stray kittens this Sunday, and when we were visiting them I noticed a flea on the lighter one. I just saw one, but, I'm sure if there was one there are more and the other kitten could possibly be infected. They are under six weeks, so the only thing that we KNOW will be fine for them are the flea collars. But, they only cover the neck. Does anyone know of any other flea remedies for kittens under 12 weeks?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3greatkids751
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I wanna say FrontLine but Im not sure if its safe for them at that age =(  Call the vet and ask them!! =) GL mama and congrats on the new kittys!!!

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!

pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL Blinkie

Proud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

lesliekaym27
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Dawn Dish Soap. Seriously. It will kill the fleas and its gentle as long it doesn't get in their eye and mouth.

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Please don't use Frontline or any other over-the-counter remedy, they're too young and they could poisen them.

They'll have to see a vet for an approriate flea treatment.

If you want to do it at home, Dawn is safe. Use the blue kind, and comb out the fleas. Be careful not to get it in their eyes.

MissiHampt
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Whatever you do, make sure they're flea free before you bring them into your house.  Once fleas are in your home, they are very hard to get rid of. 

Frontline plus is for kittens 8 weeks and older, and since they shouldn't be taken away from their mother till 8 weeks, this might be an option for you.

Advantage can't be used till 9 weeks.

Capstar might be a good option, it's safe for kittens over 4 weeks as long as they weigh at least 2 pounds.  It's a pill that can be given and it starts working right away, within 30 minutes.  However, it only works for 24 hours.  Most people say it takes about 2 doses to work, if there's a heavy infestation.

So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Thank you! We will try the dawn, the people who are keeping them have actually been giving them baths, so they should be pretty used to it.

So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

We aren't exactly sure how old they are.. possibly, 4 weeks. But, their mom abandoned them and the family that we are adopting them from found them and took them in.

Quoting MissiHampt:

Whatever you do, make sure they're flea free before you bring them into your house.  Once fleas are in your home, they are very hard to get rid of. 

Frontline plus is for kittens 8 weeks and older, and since they shouldn't be taken away from their mother till 8 weeks, this might be an option for you.

Advantage can't be used till 9 weeks.

Capstar might be a good option, it's safe for kittens over 4 weeks as long as they weigh at least 2 pounds.  It's a pill that can be given and it starts working right away, within 30 minutes.  However, it only works for 24 hours.  Most people say it takes about 2 doses to work, if there's a heavy infestation.

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM

You can just rub the Dawn on when they're dry, comb out the fleas, then rinse them REALLY well. Keep them covered in towels after so they don't get a chill.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Thank you! We will try the dawn, the people who are keeping them have actually been giving them baths, so they should be pretty used to it.

MalreeRose1208
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM

be very careful not to let them into your hosue with the fleas, it is hard to get rid of them once they have spread.

mommy of one beautiful baby girl (who just turned one!),new home owner, getting married in 3 weeks,laid back, dart throwing ,beer drinking,trivia playing,Harry Potter loving, lotsa great girlfriends, dog owner, a CIO, non-BF, kinda gal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)