Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GFCF Diet **PIOG**

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi,

I'm starting my son on this diet.  Does anyone else do it?  Has it worked for you?  Any suggestions on what taste good. 

My son also has ADHD on top of Asperger, his meds reduced his appetite, so anything that would help in the weight gain dept. would be great.  I know it worked for a relative of mine, but more success stories from this diet, that are first hand would be appreciated.

Also, going on this diet wouldn't affect his intelligence would it??  He's super smart with an incredible memory.  He is one track minded, but I also see that as a plus being that he has an interest in Science (says he wants to be a bug doctor, aka Entomologist) 

He's five years old, so I think he'll have a bright future as long as I can give him the edge he needs. 

I'm hoping this diet with help with improving eye contact and loud outburst, those kinds of things. 

His meds give him incredible focus, he went from not being teachable (in a school setting, I could teach him, but had to split up lessons through out the day) to a great student in school!!  For the time being he'll stay on the meds (which is the lowest dose I could put him on that gave results). 

He's also in Spe. Ed, so I know that they will work with this diet w/out any issues...  Just thought I would throw that in...

Well, any advice or experiance with this is needed. 

Thank you

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Has he had any testing to determine if he has any gluten or casein allergies?  My understanding is the diet only benefits those who have allergies to what is being removed.  Example, removing pineapple from your diet is not going to make a difference if you are not allergic to pineapple.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Hope you get some good advice, and good luck to your family.

orchid404
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I think this is a hit or miss kind of thing, and to my understanding (which isn't to much, I'm just really starting to learn about this), it's not just an allergy, but how the body breaks down or doesn't  the proteins in both the casein and gluten...  I haven't heard that their is any testing, wouldn't that make life easy!!!!  Feel free for the informed to correct me please!!! lol

Quoting LauraKW:

Has he had any testing to determine if he has any gluten or casein allergies?  My understanding is the diet only benefits those who have allergies to what is being removed.  Example, removing pineapple from your diet is not going to make a difference if you are not allergic to pineapple.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Hope you get some good advice, and good luck to your family.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
GFCF Diet Info & Recipes!
medical questions
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

reelo
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM

We tried it for ADHD, unfortunately it didn't do anything for our boys but hey.  The earlier poster was right, it works on kids that have sensitvities to those foods-- if they do have those allergies it can make a huge difference but it isn't a cure all.  They won't work on kids who genuinely have that disorder only on kids who have food allergies mimicing the symptoms of these other disorders. 

I think its a great idea to try the dietary changes first even though they didn't work for our kids, at least I know we've tried that. 

I will say I do know someone who has had a huge difference from the gluten free.  She was diagnosed as ADHD in grade school and was just off the spectrum.  As she got older it did turn out she is allergic to wheat, cutting wheat out did cut down on her symptoms immensely.  She is still definately ADHD but it isn't out of control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)