Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foster parents

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 19 Replies

hi i just wanted to know that if the people who become foster parents get paid some money, to get the kids what they need to live because i have been seeing on craigslist people that are about to become foster parents asking for clothes and baby cribs and toys and shoes and blankets and all kinds of stuff for free, i just always thought that foster parents are evaluated on weather or not they can afford to take care of them and i thought they get paid an amount of money per month to help take care of the kids, i just would like to know so that if i give these people some stuff that it is not because they are being selfish and don't want to spend money on the kids, thank you

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.star80
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Nah, I just think some people are cheap! Doesn't matter if it's their kids or someone else's. If I was going to do that I would buy everything brand new but that's just me 

Moonlite_Angel
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Foster parents do receive some compensation for foster children but it is hardly enough. I think it is a nice idea to give or receive donation to assist with meeting the childrens' needs. I would however, be leery when it comes to Craigslist. I would watch out for shady people preying on people's kindness.
Spicysammy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM

you know i could understand if they were being cheap they would say they could pay a small fee but they were acting as if they had no money and completely unprepared to be a foster parent let alone a parent them selves i just dont understand how a child can be placed with people who cant even afford a bed fot the baby what if the baby comes befor they get a free crib i just dont understand that.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You never know how they became foster parents. A family member could of past away and untill other arrangments can be made they could be fostering them.

Aslo with foster care you don't get a lot of money. An why is it "cheap" and "selfish" to use gentaly used stuff. Maybe they want to save money for other things like trips and ect.

Jenn

Quoting Spicysammy:

hi i just wanted to know that if the people who become foster parents get paid some money, to get the kids what they need to live because i have been seeing on craigslist people that are about to become foster parents asking for clothes and baby cribs and toys and shoes and blankets and all kinds of stuff for free, i just always thought that foster parents are evaluated on weather or not they can afford to take care of them and i thought they get paid an amount of money per month to help take care of the kids, i just would like to know so that if i give these people some stuff that it is not because they are being selfish and don't want to spend money on the kids, thank you

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
mrs.star80
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM

It's sad but a lot of these kids are placed with very unfit parents! So a lot of them are not very equiped either. Not all the time but pretty often. My friend was bounced around from foster home to foster home most of her life, she's a gorgeous girl and always has been and probably 90% of her foster dads molested her in some way, one of them used to put his cigarettes out on her vagina. She's a little out of it sometimes but she's doing so good! She married such a wonderful guy who loves her dearly, she works with him, they are both fire fighters and just recently had a beautiful daughter after many many miscarriages. God bless her and I hope the SOB's rot

Quoting Spicysammy:

you know i could understand if they were being cheap they would say they could pay a small fee but they were acting as if they had no money and completely unprepared to be a foster parent let alone a parent them selves i just dont understand how a child can be placed with people who cant even afford a bed fot the baby what if the baby comes befor they get a free crib i just dont understand that.

Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I am an emergency foster placement, which means that I only take kids for a night or two until they can be officially placed. I do get paid based on the age of the child(ren) and how long they stay and if I have to make any special purchases for them.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

Spicysammy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM

there is a possibility that they use the extra money for trips, and there is nothing wrong with using gently used stuff i do it my self i just don't want to give stuff to some one who doesn't really need it and are just trying to take the money they get for foster care for them selves i have herd of a lot of people doing that, i am not saying every one that is a foster parent does that it just seams as though ppl on Craig's are doing that but i just wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt

isra1986
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I am not sure, but I think sometimes they do get kids with little notice, so they may be unprepared. I have no problem donating whatever I can to help foster families. They are doing a great thing. Those kids deserve to have a home that fits their needs. They didn't ask for this life.

ramadan mubarak

Spicysammy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

I am an emergency foster placement, which means that I only take kids for a night or two until they can be officially placed. I do get paid based on the age of the child(ren) and how long they stay and if I have to make any special purchases for them.

o okay! thank you answered my question, So they do get paid and should be equip with the means to support them so this is probably a scam on craigs

Spicysammy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Quoting mrs.star80:

It's sad but a lot of these kids are placed with very unfit parents! So a lot of them are not very equiped either. Not all the time but pretty often. My friend was bounced around from foster home to foster home most of her life, she's a gorgeous girl and always has been and probably 90% of her foster dads molested her in some way, one of them used to put his cigarettes out on her vagina. She's a little out of it sometimes but she's doing so good! She married such a wonderful guy who loves her dearly, she works with him, they are both fire fighters and just recently had a beautiful daughter after many many miscarriages. God bless her and I hope the SOB's rot

Quoting Spicysammy:

wow i cant believe that ,that is very sad i hope that doesn't happen to any other kids in foster care!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)