Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Circumcision=mutilation (please play nice)

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 216 Replies

This is not a "it's right or wrong" post so please do NOT make it that..

My question...for those mommas who believe that circumcision is mutilation or should be left up to the child...do you also get your infant daughter's ears pierced?  Isn't that mutilation as well...not as drastic and no the holes do not always close back up if left out.  Thoughts?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMom2RAD
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Actually most believe it is 'forced' and 'unnecessary' mutilation. and no, i will not pierce my infant daughters ears, i will wait until she asks me.

a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I'm so glad you asked this....I was thinking the same thing last week

grammarpolice
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I did have both my son's circumcised, but I would not pierce a baby girl's ears. I would wait until she was about 12 or 13 and expressed a desire for pierced ears.

nysa76
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I circumcised my boys for health and aesthetic reasons.  I pierced my daughter's ears for aesthetic reasons.  My boys entering jr high and high school have told me they are glad I did.  My daughter has always loved her ears pierced.

To each their own!

"I'm selfish, I'm impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

CountryMomma88
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Oh wow this is interesting.  I have never heard of circumcision being mutilation before.  If my baby is a boy I'm going to have him circumcised.  If I have a girl she'll probably have her ears peirced soon after.  I did when I was a baby.   I don't even think they will question those things when they are older, because that's just the way things were and thats all they know.  I never thought to question why did my Mom peirce my ears so young.  I have always liked them.

I guess it's all in what you believe is right for your child and what your beliefs are.

-Sarah

new baby

Jademom07
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Quoting grammarpolice:

I did have both my son's circumcised, but I would not pierce a baby girl's ears. I would wait until she was about 12 or 13 and expressed a desire for pierced ears.

so you give your girl a choice but not the boys...I'm just trying to understand the logic

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Both my boys are circumcised and I don't have any daughters, so ear piercing isn't a choice I had to make. Personally, I 'd probably have it done as well. I had my ears pierced as a baby and I'm eternally grateful. I don't have to go through the piercing now, and I can wear any kind of earrings Iike. So because of that personal experience I see nothing wrong with it.

Sharon

grammarpolice
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Jademom07:

Quoting grammarpolice:

so you give your girl a choice but not the boys...I'm just trying to understand the logic

No, they are circumcized for religious reasons.

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Quoting Jademom07:

Quoting grammarpolice:

This wasn't addressed to me but the logic is that circumcision has medical benefits. Piercing ears doens't have a single benefit except wearing earrings. So circumcision is in a completely different category than ear piercing. A better comparison is if you give your children the choice to be vaccinated or not. Well, most parents don't give their children that choice, they make the choice to do it.

Personally, my sons are circumcised forreligious reasons. I have no religious obligation whatsoever to pierce my daughters' ears.

Sharon

akataml
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

you cant put mutilation besides circumsision and not get drama lol

my son is circumsised and i willnot peirce my daughters ears. Thats just the way it is and i dont need to explain or justify to anyone 

jeff.gif jeff hardy image by 200152750j

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)