Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Becoming a Nurse?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ever since my son was born I've been interested in neonatal nursing. I think that it's a job that I would really enjoy. I love being around newborns. I'm not sure if I would want to take care of healthy babies in the hospital (I've read demand for this is going down since a lot of moms room in with their babies now) or working the NICU (which sounds really hard, I'm not sure how I would handle it since I'm a pretty emotional person). Anyway, I recently found out that I would have to be a nurse practitioner, and not just an RN. So that would mean 4 years in school to get a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing and then two more years to get an MSN (master of science in nursing). Then there is another three years of training in the hospital (which you get paid for).

If I started today, by the time I get out of school my kids will be 8, 7, and 6 years old. I do still need my GED because I was homeschooled and I don't have any proof that I actually have a high school education. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my kids while I'm in school! I'm thinking of taking as many online and evening courses as possible so I can still be home with them during the day. Once they start going to school it will be a bit easier because we can all do school at the same time. After I get out of school and start getting paid, my dh is going to start working from home and stay with the kids while I work outside the home.

Any thoughts? Advice? Encouragment in general? :)

Amanda

Wife to Chris for 2 1/2 years

Mama to
Guy - 21 months

October - 11 months

Baby X - EDD 1/10/10

Being a Mom means never having to say, "I've never touched someone else's poop."

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tatumsmommy0123
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:16 PM

It's odd that you dont have any proof of graduating from home school.  The state that you live in should have sent you something.  Getting into the nursing program is HARD, and the nursing program is even harder.  I have a 4.0 GPA and I am still waiting to get into the program!  Good luck though.  And my DH's mom works in L&D taking care of the babies after they are born, and she only has her RN.

RainbowLollipops-1.gif picture by nudge08

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Moms in School
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

MyJoieDeVivre
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM

You don't have to be a nurse practitioner to be a NICU or well baby nurse, at least, not anywhere I've heard of. Here, all you need is your associates degree in nursing. We have nurse practitioners, but they are there to help the neonatologists with their loads. I do believe there are some places that do require a bachelor's in nursing to work NICU, but most are ok with just an associates. I will say in my area there are no nursing jobs right now due to the economy. Our hospitals are suffering and going through round after round of layoffs. Its the reason I'm a SAHM now. I'm hoping after this baby comes the market will be better. My 3 favorite departments are NICU, OB, and OR.  Good luck!

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I am also interested in nursing.  I have a BA but it's in a non-nursing field.  Currently, I haven't been able to find one single school that offers online nusing courses unless you are already licensed (LPN or RN).  I found a program in my area that offers an entry-level MSN program where I could get my RN in 15 months, then work part-time in a hospital while completing the Master's portion which takes about 2 more years.  All the classes have to be taken at the school.  There is no online option.  Even the local community college that offers an LPN and RN program has no online option.  It makes sense because nursing is something that is very hands on.  It's not like other disciplines.  Many of the courses require labs and that means in-classroom instruction.  The only problem for me is that 1) this nusing program would cost approxiately $60,000 over 3 years and 2) I can't afford childcare for 2 children on my husband's income alone.  So yeah, I feel pretty stuck.   Even if I just wanted a BSN, it's still all at the school, no online option.  But I figured, might as well go for the MSN since it's only 3 years and I already have a Bachelors.  I could possibly afford childcare once I start working part-time as an RN, but that's still 15 months of coming up with childcare expenses.  I also would need to take 4 pre-requisite classes at the community college before applying to the program.  I'm not sure going $60K in debt is worth it even though I would make good money once I'm done.

KISSES37
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM

HI MAMA, I STARTED SCHOOL PART TIME WHEN I WAS 32 BECAUSE I REALIZED THAT I WANTED TO BE A NURSE. I HAVE BEEN IN SCHOOL PART TIME FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS, AND NOW I CAN FINALLY SEE THE FINISH LINE. I HAVE 2 MORE CLASSES AND THE PROGRAM ITSELF, BUT I FIGURED THAT I COULD TALK ABOUT IT AND NOT DO ANYTHING, AND THEN I WOULD BE IN THE SAME SPOT TEN YEARS DOWN THE ROAD.

whalewail
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for all the information. :)

Amanda

Wife to Chris for 2 1/2 years

Mama to
Guy - 21 months

October - 11 months

Baby X - EDD 1/10/10

Being a Mom means never having to say, "I've never touched someone else's poop."

nookers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

You do not need a NP to work in the units (ICU, NICU, CICU,ER) but these departments require you to be certified in that area. I worked many yrs as an RN when there was no certification required. But in order to stay in those areas it became mandatory. Believe me not all nurses are capable of caring for an ICU/ER patient. I'm certified in ICU, CICU, ER, NEURO ~ but not babies ~ not my thing. Good luck to you in your career choice ~ It's demanding, emotional and rewarding!

NOOKERS<><
AlyssaRob1416
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM

No, you absolutely do not need NP to work in thr NICU. My baby was in nicus for over 3 months at 2 different hospitals. there is always a NNP on shift, sometimes more depending on the size of the unit. The NNP can preform procedures and make decisions. They can read blood gasses and wean from the vent. They report to the neonatologist during rounds. An NNP is in charge of several babies and an RN is in charge of 1-3, depending on the unit and how sick the babies are.

cinemagirl823
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Hey, Im a Neonatal nurse- or I was until I stopped to be a SAHM. You dont have to be a NP, you can but your job description would be totally different. You have to have a couple of certifications but the hospital who hires you will send you through the courses. I loved working in the NICU. I worked in a Level 2 nursery so we didnt do the real premie-priemie but I also did high risk and regular deliveries (baby part not mommy) and would "float" out to the Mom-Baby unit so I did healthy babies too lol. It was an awsome job and I loved it. If you have any questions feel free to message me!!!!

The ______ Housewife:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/theblankhousewife

Young Mommies, Young Babies around Graham http://www.cafemom.com/group/YMYBGraham

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)