Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent!!!! The new tenents

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

So the new neighbours moved in upstairs last night.  I did inform them that I deep cleaned the carpets and treated them for fleas, since when we moved downstairs we noticed our cat was infested.  They also have a cat.  I will point out that my cat is an indoor cat and didn't have fleas when we moved in over a year ago.  I have no idea how my cat got fleas.  I have now treated my cat with Advantage and we haven't been bothered by fleas since we moved.  This morning the new neighbour calls the landlord and bitches that his legs are all flea bitten.  Last night his girlfriend told me that when they moved their furniture that they were getting bitten too.  Now the landlord has called an exterminator and he will be there on Sunday morning.  My husband is afriad that we are going to end up having to foot the bill, even though we treated the carpets.  I am so livid that they are trying to pin this on us!!!  These guys(the new neightbour, the landlord and my husband) are all friends and went to highschool together.  I just can't believe that the fleas would still be a problem even after all the cleaning I did and treating the carpets.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Fleas are very hard to get rid of, and typically one treatment is not enough to get rid of them.  You may think they are gone, but that is probably just the living fleas - the eggs will hatch in a few weeks and then it starts all over again.  My bet is that is what happened.  Good luck to you, I hope you don't get stuck with any bills.

cmb121906
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Fleas are very hard to get rid of, and typically one treatment is not enough to get rid of them.  You may think they are gone, but that is probably just the living fleas - the eggs will hatch in a few weeks and then it starts all over again.  My bet is that is what happened.  Good luck to you, I hope you don't get stuck with any bills.

True. My moms cat got fleas REALLY bad and she is an indoor cat as well. The vet said she more then likely got them from sitting in the window sills.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

Mover
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Fleas are an amazing little creature.  They can come in the house on your pants leg or shoes. Some of those flea treatments don't work very well. Once you get those critters in your house, they are impossible to get rid of. Good Luck.

vbutterfly1021
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM
it took my aunt a long time to get rid of them as well, and she did not have carpets. they got into her dresser of clothes and she was itching for weeks no matter how many treatments she did. all her cats are indoor ones as well...
jnmccall89
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Well... if you Rent its your landlords Responsability to pay the bill if they called.... I used to be a manager for an apartment complex... legally they can not stick you with the bill if you didnt call.... its their responsability!! fleas are hard to get rid of... i live in north carolina and because of the humidity my dog gets them... let alone he is a indoor dog ... if your cat still has them wash them with dawn dish soap... and buy a box of borax soap spread it on your carpets... wash all your sheets, clothing ect in it... and after spreading it onto your carpets let it sit for about 30min the vaccume it up... that should kill 95% of the eggs on the floors and kill the live ones....good luck with you! I would look up the laws for renting where every you live... and print them off if your landlord gives you trouble

ISSAAC'S MOMMY

LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Quoting jnmccall89:

Well... if you Rent its your landlords Responsability to pay the bill if they called.... I used to be a manager for an apartment complex... legally they can not stick you with the bill if you didnt call.... its their responsability!! fleas are hard to get rid of... i live in north carolina and because of the humidity my dog gets them... let alone he is a indoor dog ... if your cat still has them wash them with dawn dish soap... and buy a box of borax soap spread it on your carpets... wash all your sheets, clothing ect in it... and after spreading it onto your carpets let it sit for about 30min the vaccume it up... that should kill 95% of the eggs on the floors and kill the live ones....good luck with you! I would look up the laws for renting where every you live... and print them off if your landlord gives you trouble

Absolutely!!!  Do everything she said, and then in two weeks do it again, and then in two weeks do it again, and then in two weeks, do it again, and in two more weeks - yup, you guessed it - do it again.  That should be long enough to get all the little freaking hidden eggs.  And be prepared to find little dead flea bodies everywhere, gross!

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Having fleas is a vicious cycle.  We had fleas in a townhouse we used to rent and had NO PETS!  After using treatments in the store and them being unsuccessful (sprays, bombs, etc.), we called a professional.  The landlord covered the bill because it wasn't anything we did to cause the infestation.  He sprayed all the carpet with some type of pesticide for fleas that kills the eggs, larvae, and adult fleas.  It was something you couldn't buy in stores.  Only professionals have access to it.  It is safe for kids and pets though.  I was worried about my son because he was crawling at the time.  We left the house for a few hours, then had to vacuum thoroughly 3 days later.  Fleas were gone!  He also sprayed outside with some more high powered stuff.  I never saw that many fleas, but my son had bites on his neck.  I felt awful.  It can take many treatments to get rid of them.  An adult flea can lay thousands of eggs in a short period of time and they sit in the carpet and mature over several weeks.  Not all treatments are designed to kill eggs, larvae and the adult fleas so they can continuously come back just when you think they are gone.  I'm glad we went with a professional.  Otherwise, we probably never would have gotten rid of them.  My friend who had fleas had to treat her house several times before they went away.

hautemama83
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I don't know if the landlord can make you guys pay for it, but I do know that fleas are very hard to get rid of. I once had a flea problem and it took serveral treatments to get rid of them. We literally had to tear everything apart and clean the hell out of it and treat it at least 3 times to get rid of them fully.

Suz_and_Ash
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I used the Zodiac brand flea spray.  My sister recommended it and she is a dog groomer and took vet assistant in college.  I know they are hard buggers to get rid of, but the stuff I used is supposed to last 7 months, which is why I did it after deep cleaning the carpets.  I vacuumed the place like 4 times and even sprayed the stuff in the vacuum so I didn't bring it down stairs.  We lived on the second level of the house so they only way for him to get them is if we somehow brought them in.  BTW, I should mention that we live in Canada, so I am not sure what the laws are about it.  Especially since we were the ones living up there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)