Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many of you have written your senators about the H1N1 vaccine opposing it being mandatory? PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

If you have, did you get a response? Would you share it? I will re post my response from Senator Kerry. I strongly urge anyone that is against it to contact your senators and local government.

Dear ---

Thank you for writing to me regarding your concerns with the upcoming H1N1 vaccine.  I appreciate hearing from you.

Rest assured the the safety of any vaccine will be extensively investigated before the vaccine is administered to the public, especially to those with vulnerable immune systems such as small children.  In the coming months, the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases will be conducting five clinical trials at eight evaluation centers around the country of two candidate H1N1 vaccines to ascertain their safety.  This is typical of other vaccines before they are approved for use by the general public.

The Center of Disease Control is currently recommending, not mandating, that segments of our population receive the vaccine once it is available. Your family will be encouraged to get the vaccine, but the choice is ultimately yours.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any other matter of importance to you.

Sincerely,

John F. Kerry

United States Senator

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM

No vaccines are mandatory unless you have a job that requires it of you such as the military.

LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Kudos to you for taking action for what you believe, not just bitching about it on cafemom!

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I haven't yet, but am going to.  There's no way in HELL that they will mandate any vaccine on my family!

With light and love.

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Quoting myfoursonsks:

No vaccines are mandatory unless you have a job that requires it of you such as the military.

There are quite a few vaccines that are mandatory to attend public school in Massachusetts. Massachusetts only has religious and medical exemptions.

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

mandalouwhotn
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM

If they have exemptions...they aren't manadatory.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting myfoursonsks:

There are quite a few vaccines that are mandatory to attend public school in Massachusetts. Massachusetts only has religious and medical exemptions.

aimige
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM

They don't mandate any other vaccination..why would they do the H1N1 vaccination? 

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM

They are if neither exemption applies to you.

Quoting mandalouwhotn:

If they have exemptions...they aren't manadatory.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting myfoursonsks:

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM

The vaccine itself still is not mandated.  If you are strongly against something, such as for religious beliefs, you either move from that state or home school.  There is no laws that state all Americans must receive "x" vaccine.  There are always way around it.  My kids will not be getting that vaccination and there is no way they could force me without putting me in prison and taking my kids from me.  It will not happen.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Quoting aimige:

They don't mandate any other vaccination..why would they do the H1N1 vaccination? 

Really, I am not sure how many states allow philosophical exemtions but mine doesn't. Your children don't need vaccinations to go to school?

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Well, yes, I could home school him but I would like him to be able to attend school without getting the vaccine.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

The vaccine itself still is not mandated.  If you are strongly against something, such as for religious beliefs, you either move from that state or home school.  There is no laws that state all Americans must receive "x" vaccine.  There are always way around it.  My kids will not be getting that vaccination and there is no way they could force me without putting me in prison and taking my kids from me.  It will not happen.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)