Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont get it do you?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM
  • 55 Replies
How come people feel the need to do intervention on drugs and alcohol but yet ive never seen one done on cigarettes.i mean people smoke just as much or more than they drink or do drugs and smoking leads to death too so why not do an intervention on that
Im lindsey a young sah married christian church-going,bible-believing,non-gay supporting,100% pro-life mom with 2 boys ages 2 and 2 months.i vaccinate my kids,use formula,use cio method,prop my babies bottle sometimes,spank as form of disipline and i love my kids very much.
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Drugs are illegal, Alcohol is very dangerous to the person and others. Cigarettes are pretty much harmless to others as long as they don't smoke around you. I will probably get bashed for this opinion, but that's my take on it. No way you can compare drugs and alcohol to cigarettes! They do nothing to your mind and mental state.

ramadan mubarak

confused-mom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM

eye rolling

smichellem

My view of it would be two reasons.

#1 Other than those who chose to smoke closely around others and their children smokers are not harming anyone but themselves in any way shape or form.

#2 Smoking tobacco is not yet illegal. Other drugs are still illegal. Excessive alcohol abuse does often times harm others. Tobacco use just simply does not make a person go out and harm others.

Here's an even more odd thing to think about. why is it that a majority of previously non tobacco smoking people come out of drug or alcohol programs as smokers? They often times pick up smoking while in Rehab.

myfoursonsks

I guess because smoking does not seem to impact the lives of others as greatly.  I have never seen anyone have to file bankruptcy because of cigarettes alone.  I have never seen anyone steal anything significant from their family members to get a cigarette fix.  I have never seen someone neglect their children for days on end because they were too "high" off of cigarettes. 

Smoking is more of an annoyance to the people that surround them more than anything else.

hautemama83

Common sense maybe, considering the fact that cigarettes don't totally destroy a persons life, and are legal. Why would they waste their time doing an intervention on smokers? Sounds rather petty, and silly to me. Honestly when was the last time you saw someone living on the streets because they are a smoker, or when was the last time you heard of someone getting killed because they were smoking and driving.

mysteriousmom06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I agree with this 100%

Quoting isra1986:

Drugs are illegal, Alcohol is very dangerous to the person and others. Cigarettes are pretty much harmless to others as long as they don't smoke around you. I will probably get bashed for this opinion, but that's my take on it. No way you can compare drugs and alcohol to cigarettes! They do nothing to your mind and mental state.

Mommy2twoboyz22
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM
My point is they both lead to death maybe smoking takes longer but still its harmful
Im lindsey a young sah married christian church-going,bible-believing,non-gay supporting,100% pro-life mom with 2 boys ages 2 and 2 months.i vaccinate my kids,use formula,use cio method,prop my babies bottle sometimes,spank as form of disipline and i love my kids very much.
smichellem

Interesting question though.

It's simply not at the same level. As everyone seems to be pointing out

Erica_Smerica

Good point.... but then is the only reason for an intervention to protect other people? I always thought it was to protect the particular person doing the bad behavior. But then if that's true- shouldn't we have interventions for reckless driving, unhealthy diets/weight, etc?

Hmmmmm

Quoting isra1986:

Mamamanic
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I haven't heard of cigarettes completely altering your personality like drug do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)