Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are your thoughts on 13 yr old wanting to sail around world

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

I was just reading this on the yahoo news, what do you all think about it?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
imechard
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I think it is insane and dangerous and irresponsible that the parents are even considering allowing it. 13 year olds are just babies and that is a very dangerous thing to do with even a small crew, because there is a lot of things that can go wrong. Her boat is also tiny and I am not even sure how it would not get in trouble on super rough seas. Sailing on a lake is one thing, the open sea/ocean is a whole different ballgame and should be off limits. In the Netherlands (where she is from) you are not even allowed to get your driver's license until you are 18.

abbynzachsmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I saw this one the news last night and my first thought is her parents need to be locked up for even letting her consider it. There are toooo many dangers out there for a girl of 13. Hello? we have a pirate problem, if they got a hold of her boat, do you really think they would stop at robbing her?  What about school? This isnt going to the mall and walking around, this is sailing AROUND the WORLD ALONE!

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Pregnant with baby #3? join us! ~ Pregnant again!...baby#3

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

blondie7221
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM

yeah i agree to a point, but it said the last boy left at 14 right? she wants to sit a record

abbynzachsmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM

last night the news said he was 17, but as much as people are going to hate me for this, there is a HUGE difference in a 16 or 17 year old boy doing it and a 13 year old girl. There are dangers to her (espeically because of her looks) that weren't a factor for him. 

Quoting blondie7221:

yeah i agree to a point, but it said the last boy left at 14 right? she wants to sit a record

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Pregnant with baby #3? join us! ~ Pregnant again!...baby#3

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

blondie7221
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM

i think he was 17 when he finished

Quoting abbynzachsmommy:

last night the news said he was 17, but as much as people are going to hate me for this, there is a HUGE difference in a 16 or 17 year old boy doing it and a 13 year old girl. There are dangers to her (espeically because of her looks) that weren't a factor for him.

Quoting blondie7221:

blondie7221
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM

ok yeah he was 16 when he left, 2 yrs befor he had sailed alone around ocean but his father was monitering him from a near by boat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)