Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your child has asthma are you going to get them the swine flu vaccine?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am on my lunch and just walked back, on my way back over here though a mother  was in front of me walking toward the hospital exit, talking on her phone. I overheard her say that he had a good appt, that his asthma is under control..but then she goes but i'll be damned if i let that asshole poke  my kid and give him that swine flu.  (i am assuming she means vaccine, because what else could this mean)

Now i don't think the doctor IS a asshole if he told her about this vaccine. If you have asthma you are in a at risk group; there really is no way in denying that or turning that around.

So if your child or yourself have asthma and their pulmonologist (which is where she was probably coming from) recommended they get it, would you consider it?

I still don't think her doctor that is treating her child for what can be a life threatening condition deserves to be called a asshole.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM

My son has asthma........BUT he is also deathly allergic to eggs, milk, peanuts....he can NOT have the vaccine......and sometimes drs forget and offer him a vaccine he can NOT have....so maybe she is reacting to something like that.  I mean I get frustrated cause they forget to look in his chart and SEE his is deathly allergic......which is WHY we recently changed drs.  A lot of vaccines are made from egg components they could kill my son....so he does not get them.

stefvan
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Nope, it's too  new.  My dd has severe asthma.  She had the swine flu over the summer.  It wasn't bad.  She had the regular flu last year and was hospitalized for 11 days. 

lisar315
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM

My son hs asthma and the last time he got a flu shot he was out of school sick for a week.  Although we homeschool I will not get him the swine flu shot.

untitledSouther...
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Wivesoflawenforcement
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Dixies_Mamas

afwife2005
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM

My son has asthma and nope hes not getting it...the vaccine is to new...

Bos_Boo
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Even if my kids had asthma I would not get them that vaccine...I'd probably be even more against it than I already am because the vaccine would weaken their immune systems and make them even more likely to get sick. That vaccine is experimental and only an idiot would let their kid get it.

I had severe asthma when I was a kid, just the smell of cigarettes sent me to the hospital and I had to be put in an oxygen tent. I had 3 different inhalers and had to take breathing treatments several times a day. My pedi. didn't start my vaccines until I was a year old because I had asthma and he didn't want my immune system weakened anymore than it already was. I didn't receive my second vaccine until I was 2.

heidim229
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

my son has asthma and will not be getting it i told the dr that it was too  new and he said that that was fine he alsojust had a baby about a mo ago and i asked him if he was in my shoes what would he do and he said that he woulgnt get it

AlyssaRob1416
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

My child does not have asthma, but she does have chronic lung disease. I am undecided as she is particularly at risk as a preemie under 2 years old. She also has a trach and everything goes straight to her lungs. Just because I am considering the best choices for my child, doesn't make me an idiot. The kids who have died from the swine flu are kids like mine.

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I have asthma, I will NOT be getting the vaccine and I will not allow my child to get the vaccine either. It is way too new for my comfort. We also do not do the 'normal flu vaccines.

myspace commentsPhotobucket

myspace commentsPhotobucket

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting Bos_Boo:

Even if my kids had asthma I would not get them that vaccine...I'd probably be even more against it than I already am because the vaccine would weaken their immune systems and make them even more likely to get sick. That vaccine is experimental and only an idiot would let their kid get it.

I had severe asthma when I was a kid, just the smell of cigarettes sent me to the hospital and I had to be put in an oxygen tent. I had 3 different inhalers and had to take breathing treatments several times a day. My pedi. didn't start my vaccines until I was a year old because I had asthma and he didn't want my immune system weakened anymore than it already was. I didn't receive my second vaccine until I was 2.

Well i think you are wrong in calling parents idiots.

I am far from a idiot and i plan to vaccinate my whole family, and your are very wrong in assuming the vaccine is going to weaken a immune system. So maybe before you go calling others a idiot you may want to check your own facts first.

I made this post asking people a question; i didn't make it for some to feel the need to call others names.

KenziesMom9607
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I do have asthma and I will get the vaccine if it is available to me.  Absolutely, The flu for someone with asthma is very dangerous

~STEPHANIE 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)