Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I call the principal? Or let it go? My DD had a seizure yesterday... LONG but PLEASE give me your opinion

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM
  • 140 Replies

OK IF NOBODY IS GOING TO READ WHAT IS BEING DISCUSSED, THEN WHY PUT INPUT... IT HAS ALREADY BEEN EXPLAINED, IT IS REDUNDANT AND I AM TIRED OF EXPLAINING MYSELF TO EVERYONE THAT DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THE POST IS REALLY ABOUT, AND WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED. THANKS.

My 1-yr old was acting REALLY strange yesterday (she passed out in my arms, I called the ambulance, then she was fine so me and DH decided we were gonna take ehr to the Dr ourselves) We had to pick up my 5yr old from school, and on the way there, the baby was acting horribly out of it and it was scaring the shit out of me.. so I called the office and said "This is an emergency, I need Camille out of class NOW, we are taking her baby sister to the ER" and they said we have to come in and sign her out before they can even caller her classroom to excuse her. So my DH went in to sign her out, and I was in the backseat trying to get Adriana to look at me or respond to me, but she was just gone, so I grabbed her and ran inside and asked if the nurse would come and look at her.... Well 2 people came out and were talking to her, and she was just staring blankly in front of her, her arms rigid and twitching a little. They both said "Oh she looks fine to me" But I KNEW she looked bad.... so we left, and not 3 minutes later we called 911 to be ready for us at the hospital because she was getting worse, and they had me pull over into a gas station and wait for the ambulance, and she started having a seizure by the time they even got there (5-7 minutes after we left the school)

Fast forward to just a few minutes ago.... I called the school to tell them what happened, and that the nurse should be a little more mindful of this symptoms, and the same lady answered that answered yesterday, the one who told me, "Sorry but she can't be excused from class until you come in and sign her out" So I told ehr what happened as soon as we left yesterday, and she completely blew me off and said "Well I'll let the nurse know, but we have meds for the students who have seizures so it's not a problem." WTF!! This was not an epileptic seizure and obviously she doesn't know the difference, but don't blow me off when I was trying to address a very serious issue!! And now that I think about it, If I called up there yesterday claiming it was an emergency, and brought my baby in to see a nurse, panicked, ready to go the ER, shouldn't someone have called me an ambulance?

The more I think about it today, the more frustrated I get. I'm not one to cause problems and bitch to the school board or anything, but why I am being made to feel like I need to stop overreacting? Shouldn't they have taken me a little more seriously, both before the seizure, and today on the phone? Should I say something to someone, or let it go?

EDIT for everyone who thinks I am fucked up for how I handled the situation. My older daughter's school is at the front of our subdivision. When we left the house to take the baby to the doctor, which is twenty minutes away, we decided to bring the older one with us so we don't have to come back an hour later to get her out of class. I did not think AT THAT POINT that we were going to the emergency room. I had already called an ambulance once (a little while before this, maybe 20 mins prior) but when they arrived, we ALL decided that she seemed better and that we should take her to her doctor to get her checked out. As we left the house, I called the school to tell them I was on the way, and to have Camille waiting in the office for when we GO IN TO SIGN HER OUT (No I was not expecting them to shove her out the door and us just put her in the car without signing her out... her class is at the back of the school and I know it takes a few minutes to get her backpack together and get to the office, I was hoping they would go ahead and call her to the office.) Well about 2 minutes later when I was actually pulling to the parking lot, the baby looked worse and we decided not to go to the Doctors office, but to the ER, and since we were already in the parking lot, I called the office and said "Please will you call her out of class right now, we will be in in one minute to sign her out, please, she doesn't look good" If my husband would have continued on to the hospital, and something was wrong, I'm sorry but we would not have made it back to her school in time to pick her up, so we did what we thought made sense. And yes we felt awful that we should have let the first ambulance take her, but at that point she looked fine and we thought taking her to her doctor made more sense. I don't know why I am sitting here explaining myself to a bunch of people who think "Well you should have done this or that" We did what made sense at the moment. All I was wondering is TODAY when I called up there I felt brushed off and not important and I could feel the eyes rolling, when all I was trying to do was let them know what had happened. And yesterday, I am not even that mad about that, all I said IN HINDSIGHT is that it seemed to me like someone would have said "Hey maybe we should call for an ambulance since they are panicking" and not brushed it off and said "Well see ya later!" Sorry I am emotional and that was extremely unthoughtful of them to do, in my opinion. And irresponsible. And yes I will be going to the principal on Monday to let them know that I am upset about what happened.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM

She also does not know your child like you do, so you cannot hold her accountable for that. If your dd was just sitting there & staring blankly that could have been a number of things for a one year old. I would say she has gone to school for 4 years to become an RN, she knows her job. Why stir the pot?

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

It is not the school nurse´s job to diagnose your 1 year old.  We don´t even HAVE school nurses around here!  And of course you have to sign your daughter out before they will let her come with you!

The school nurse is used to children who can tell her what hurts, where it hurts, etc.  She does not necessarily know anything about 1 year olds!

I would leave it alone.

Personally, if it were truly an emergency I would not have stopped for my older child.  I would call a friend to pick her up or have hubby drop myself and my child off at the ER and then return for her!

MissAndrea125
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Quoting kgsharber:

She also does not know your child like you do, so you cannot hold her accountable for that. If your dd was just sitting there & staring blankly that could have been a number of things for a one year old. I would say she has gone to school for 4 years to become an RN, she knows her job. Why stir the pot?

She went to school to be a nurse, I did not. And even I could tell something was seriously wrong. But what bothers me more is that we left the school in a panic and nobody thought to call me an ambulance, and today, the lady made me feel stupid for even calling and letting her know that the nurse might want to take it a little more to heart when a child acts like that. I was being nice and sincere about it, and she made me feel like an idiot.

MissAndrea125
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

It is not the school nurse´s job to diagnose your 1 year old.  We don´t even HAVE school nurses around here!  And of course you have to sign your daughter out before they will let her come with you!

The school nurse is used to children who can tell her what hurts, where it hurts, etc.  She does not necessarily know anything about 1 year olds!

I would leave it alone.

Personally, if it were truly an emergency I would not have stopped for my older child.  I would call a friend to pick her up or have hubby drop myself and my child off at the ER and then return for her!

We almost didn't stop, but we drove right by the school, and it wasn't until we were pulling in that it got so bad that I started getting so scared. Especially when my husband got out of the car, she just looked like she was a zombie and it freaked me out.

Mercy121
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

i think next time (i pray there is not a next time) you might want to try breaking up the responsibilities.  you should have gone to the er/dr with your one yr old immediately.  your dh could've gone to the school to pick up your dd and rushed over to meet up with you. it might have relieved some stress and gotten your one year old medical attention sooner.   

groombride   at the beachfloating in pool

Renewing our vows February 13, 2010

AlyssaRob1416
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

There are so many symptoms when it comes to seizures. Some kids can have seizures and you won't even know it. Febrile seizures are fairly uncommon. To her, she just looked like a baby in her seat. It is not her job to diagnose and treat your infant. She also is a school nurse and is not exposed to that daily.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Mercy121:

i think next time (i pray there is not a next time) you might want to try breaking up the responsibilities.  you should have gone to the er/dr with your one yr old immediately.  your dh could've gone to the school to pick up your dd and rushed over to meet up with you. it might have relieved some stress and gotten your one year old medical attention sooner.   

That is what we do. When the little one needs to go to the hospital, I take her and he takes the big kids or will come home and wait for them.

MommyToJustice
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I agree! If it were my child i would have gotten the 5 year old later.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I would leave it alone.

matofour
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I don't understand why you want to talk to the principal?

Because your 1 year old, who is not even in school had a seizure 3 minutes after you left the school? You child may of been acting weird, but the nurse doen't know your baby, and you can't diagnose a seizure before it happens.  So, I am not  sure what you wanted them to do. 

I also don't think they should of called you an ambulance, if the seizure happened on school grounds, that is a different story.  It didn't the nurse looked at the kid, and knew you were going to the ER. 

I don't understand if you child was acting so funny, and you had called an ambulance why you didn't just wait for the ambulance? 

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Quoting kgsharber:

She went to school to be a nurse, I did not. And even I could tell something was seriously wrong. But what bothers me more is that we left the school in a panic and nobody thought to call me an ambulance, and today, the lady made me feel stupid for even calling and letting her know that the nurse might want to take it a little more to heart when a child acts like that. I was being nice and sincere about it, and she made me feel like an idiot.

It sounds like you just wanted to correct her, to teach her lesson. Like the pp said, she is a nurse that is used to being around kids that can tell her what hurts. It is also no fair to blame them for not calling you an ambulance. I think you're going to make things difficult for your daughter that has to attend that school everyday, if you say anything more or try to get the nurse in trouble for not diagnosing your 1 yr old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)