Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical Transcriptionist? piog

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

Last night, I attended a seminar about becoming a medical transcriptionist. My husband has tried getting me to go several times, and i finally talked someone into going with me.

Well, it kind of sounds too good to be true. I mean it is a very highly accredited school (At-home Professionals), and it has good credentials, but can i really work from the comfort of my own home, have all kinds of tax-writeoffs, and spend time with my kids too?

Does anyone do this for a living? Do you like it?

HELP! I am excited, but really nervous about this. I enrolled, and I have course one, but i have one week from today to return it for a full refund if i change my mind.... i just want some re-assurance or something!

baby
baby
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chloesmommy0208
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Im curious to see what your responses are because I am wondering the same thing, I am looking into doing this. And good luck :)

ani_mosity

maybe check out the school with the better business bureau? idk but here's a bump and good luck :)

CafeMom Tickers
mommywife06

Is your DH military? Im asking because of your s/n? Im doing it. The training for it then Im doing the work but so far I love it. I looked it up online and they can make $10.76 an hour and up and I can work from home so I dont have to leave my girls 

RoguesMommy

They are losing their jobs here. Getting replaced by computers. 2 family members have been unemployed for almost a year because they only have training that that area, but no one is hiring around here for it.

PhotobucketLilypie
isra1986

Quoting chloesmommy0208:

Im curious to see what your responses are because I am wondering the same thing, I am looking into doing this. And good luck :)

ramadan mubarak

rebeccasmommy09
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

If you go through the right school you may be able to find a work from home job. However, that has not been my experience. I went through a medical transcription course a few years ago before we moved back to the states from England (my hubby is military). When we got back I searched and searched but all of the online companies that allow telecommuting were looking for transcriptionists with at least 2 years of experience. I've continued to look off and on since then but I've yet to find an opportunity that would allow me to work from home. I've been working for almost 4 years now since then as a medical biller. Another profession that people have claimed will allow you to work from home but I'm still in the same boat. There are a lot more jobs it seems but not telecommuting. So far the only way I see to make it happen is to start my own business.

I have read that some schools will actually help to place you in a job once you complete their course so I would check and make sure this school is one that will do that and also see what percentage is placed in an office setting vs. a home setting.

Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
tru_navy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

this is off of the website for the school i am looking at attending...

The earnings for Medical Transcriptionists are favorable and the growth potential for this field is on the rise according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Wage-and-salary Medical Transcriptionists had median hourly earnings of $14.40 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $12.17 and $17.06. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $10.22, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $20.15.

dh isn't military... i was enlisted in the navy and the day before i was supposed to leave i found out i was pregnant with son # 1 LOL. I'm seriously thinking about doing this..... i love typing and doing editing and stuff... and i'm really good at all of the punctuation and spelling and i already know a bunch of medical terms.......... i'm just nervous

Quoting mommywife06:

Is your DH military? Im asking because of your s/n? Im doing it. The training for it then Im doing the work but so far I love it. I looked it up online and they can make $10.76 an hour and up and I can work from home so I dont have to leave my girls 

baby
baby
brandithesuperm
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

In my personal experience if something seems to good to be true it usually is. But I have no idea about your specific situation...I stay away from all of those thing forfear of being scammed.

mommywife06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I like it and Im just in the training. But it is like alot of things to learn lol. But its good. I would do it.

Quoting tru_navy:

this is off of the website for the school i am looking at attending...

The earnings for Medical Transcriptionists are favorable and the growth potential for this field is on the rise according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Wage-and-salary Medical Transcriptionists had median hourly earnings of $14.40 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $12.17 and $17.06. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $10.22, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $20.15.

dh isn't military... i was enlisted in the navy and the day before i was supposed to leave i found out i was pregnant with son # 1 LOL. I'm seriously thinking about doing this..... i love typing and doing editing and stuff... and i'm really good at all of the punctuation and spelling and i already know a bunch of medical terms.......... i'm just nervous

Quoting mommywife06:

tru_navy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM

the school is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau.... they are one of the only Medical Transcription schools that is.............

Quoting ani_mosity:

maybe check out the school with the better business bureau? idk but here's a bump and good luck :)

baby
baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)