Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Animal shelter

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

I went to our local animal shelter this morning to volunteer for a few hours. It was so sad. There were SOOOO many animals. And they barely have room for them all and they keep getting more. I was in the cat room and they were all so sweet. They loved to be held and played with. They just need a home. So please spay and neuter your pets. Please adopt instead of buying. I know I might sound like a commercial but I didn't realize how bad it was until this morning.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAnnaBanana
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM

good

Quoting stephanie39466:

I went to our local animal shelter this morning to volunteer for a few hours. It was so sad. There were SOOOO many animals. And they barely have room for them all and they keep getting more. I was in the cat room and they were all so sweet. They loved to be held and played with. They just need a home. So please spay and neuter your pets. Please adopt instead of buying. I know I might sound like a commercial but I didn't realize how bad it was until this morning.

mommyannabanana

mommytobe2290
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

i was a volunteer at an over populated animal shelter for a long time. i know what you mean. unfortunately though, theres not enough people that care.

Summer04
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

It is so sad isn't it:(

We are in the process of becoming a foster home for animals.  If I could take them all I would, probably will when I finally own the farm and land that I want (not anytime soon though).

samthecat001
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

word!!!!

i always adopt.

in fact.... we are picking up a new dog from the pound in just a few hours!!! eeeeee so excited..we've been waiting since Monday.

yes!  i wish people would spay and neuter... and adopt dont BUY. AND take a chance on the dogs that arent "trendy" or super "cute".. or NOT puppies.  there are so many great dogs sitting in these shelter just waiting for someone who knows somethign about dogs to see their potential and give them a loving "forever home".

and OP... just a little thanks for volunteering you time to help take care of these animals!

The book of the bible "Revelation" is really what will happen
should we anger Chuck Norris.

Rebecca75
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM

It is so sad. I work at Petco and we do not sell dogs or cats for several reasons, one being that there are too many cats and dogs that need good loving homes. Another the puppy mills and the cruelty. So many people come in wanting to buy a dog. ( Hardly ever cats) I guess it is because they want a certain breed of dog.  We have purrfect cat rescue that comes in to our store and adopts out kitty cats. Unfortunately it seems like more people like and want dogs. I love both cats and dogs. I cannot have a dog because we live in an apartment though.

When I go into the shelter the times I have adopted, I look at the older cats. It seems like the kittens always have waiting lists, and the older ones are close to being Euthanized. In fact my cat Louise who passed last  in Feb of 08" I adopted her on her last day before they were going to put her down. She was the sweetest most lovable cat. ( But aren't they all)  It is so sad how many people want a pet, but then don't want the financial responsibility like having the cat neutered and all the shots. I have people who come in with dogs as well that say my dog is bleeding and it won't stop or my dog has diarrhea and it's been days, or the dog is not eating or drinking. They want to buy something cheap to make the dog or cat better. I always tell them you need to take your pet to the vet. Then they complain how they don't have the money.

Me and DH are not rich, but if one of our pets is suffering or is sick we will take them to the vet, even if it means dipping into our savings or using a credit card. Our animals are our family members.  I wish people would some how have to be forced into fixing their kittens/ cats so that all these innocent animals would not have to suffer, and die. I wish people would go to the animal shelter and look to adopt a pet that needs a home. So what if you like a certain breed, how about going and looking at the other dogs and maybe you will fall in love with a dog who truly needs the help. I don't know I worry about people coming in asking why we don't sale dogs. Maybe they are past pet abusers, and they know that no one will adopt them a pet. I have so many sad stories of animals being abandoned at our store. Too many too share.

Rebecca

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I work for a private dog rescue that pulls dogs from shelters before they are euthanized. I see the tragedy of pet overpopulation every single day of my life. I also see the effects of cruelty , and stupidity. I am so upset by it. We have 5 adopted dogs, 6 adopted cats, and 3 adopted bunnies, we are also an approved fosterhome for companion animals as well as injured wildlife.  I would NEVER buy a pet. PLEASE spay and neuter , rescue and adopt. 800 animals are euthanized every hour across the us , because there are no homes, 19,200 animals are euthanized in 24 hours, in 365 days , that is 7, 008 , 000 animals euthanized . Over 7 million , in ONE YEAR. PLEASE HELP BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION , NOT A PART OF THE PROBLEM.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Michellemom372
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

i feed the ferals im a part of the trap neuter release program so there mostly spayed/neutered

Im Michelle/Im a ferrel cat feeding/Animal loving/Marrying an older man/Teen Mommy/Chihuahua owning/Poker playing/Disabled/Gay rights activist/not giving a fuck what you think =]

samthecat001
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

i got this in my email today.....

If you are having trouble reading this e-mail click here.
North Shore Animal League America in collaboration with Best Friends Animal Society rescued 150 cast off puppy mill dogs from three Midwest states.

The mill owners considered these dogs undesirable and unsellable. These innocent victims were destined for an inhumane death or to be sold at auction for as little as 25 cents each.

Lemonade is a sweet, adult Beagle with mammary gland tumors as a result of over breeding. She can no longer produce litters and therefore is deemed useless by a puppy mill breeder.
Pugsly is an adorable Pug that has ulcers in his eyes. Because Pugsly would not bring top dollar in a pet store, he has no value to a puppy
mill breeder.
Kisses is a stunning adult Keeshond. There is nothing wrong with her. But Kisses is not as in demand as a tea-cup Yorkie, so there was no reason to keep her in the eyes of a puppy mill breeder.
To a puppy mill breeder, the space these "defective" dogs take up is more valuable than the dogs themselves. The Animal League, however, sees these magnificent creatures as beautiful and worthy of a wonderful life that they have been deprived of for so long. You as an animal lover surely would agree. Read Full Story

Please don't buy that puppy in the window.
Help us continue to do more vital rescues like this one and give these deserving
animals the extensive care they need. Please donate today.

Please help spread the word! Forward this message to your friends.

If you received this message from a friend, please sign up for email alerts from North Shore Animal League America.

© 2009 North Shore Animal League America | 25 Davis Ave, Port Washington, NY 11050 | 516.883.7575

The book of the bible "Revelation" is really what will happen
should we anger Chuck Norris.

BrandonsMom1000
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:44 PM

We adopted our Yellow Lab "Lucky", from our local shelter.  He is the best dog and he loves everyone in our family.  He believes that he is a ladie's man.  He seems to love women more.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

We have 3 pets, 2 cats friends found as strays in their yards and our dog we got from a rescue group.  I would never buy a pet! All our animals our great!  Our dog is awesome and so loving and has been since they day he came home from his foster home.  He had a rough start to life but we will do our best to make sure the rest of it is wonderful.   Pets are expensive!  If we could afford more, I'd want more.  My husband has band me from petfinder.com because I always want another one.  I know Cooper (our dog) would love a friend, but unfortunately right now we don't have the money or space for another one.  But he and one of our cats are buddies and he and my son (almost 11 months) love each other!  I get so mad at my friends that buy from breeders and pet stores... just because they want a baby puppy.  Cooper was 10 months when we got him, and house trained, crate trained and utd on shots and neutered.  It was great!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)