Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underinsured and drowning in medical bills…piog

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

Okay, my daughter has had two surgeries over the past couple of months, one on each hip (she was born with developmental dysplasia of the hips). Our insurance pays a lifetime maximum benefit of $50,000 for anomalies. The first surgery cost a total of $45,000 and the second one cost around $40,000. This lifetime maximum benefit encompasses all treatment for her hips, so in addition to the medical bills for her surgeries, we have accumulated the cost for her 3 different braces (dependents have no durable medical coverage on our plan), and so far about 7 months of weekly/bi-weekly doctor visits plus x-rays or ultrasounds. We have a yearly deductible, PPO, and with in network providers pay about 20%, it’s a co-insurance. Anyway, I am just wondering what we can do. We are basically going to be $50,000 + in medical debt. I have looked into a state run program to help pay costs but our income is just over what we would need to qualify for assistance. Maybe filing bankruptcy is an option? Has anyone been in this situation? I know we can pay a small amount at a time, but to pay it off may take a lifetime. Are there other programs or options I am unaware of or are we just screwed!? Looking for any advice, Liz

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamaleah17
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

You should try the Shriners.

lizinthecountry
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I hadn't thought about the Shriners, but will check to see if we qualify.

Quoting mamaleah17:

You should try the Shriners.

peenut0602
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM

i wouldn't file just yet for bankruptcy... if your daughter has these problems, then she will most likely need continuous care so if you file now, what happens if you rack up more debt for her medical? your better off trying to see if you can get a loan to consolidate the bills... it sucks, me and my kids just went on my husbands medical and it really sucks... he has a high deductible plan, i have alot of health issues and they may need to be put on the back burner becuz of our medical... i dont see what people don't want a universal health care, it would help out alot of people who have bad insurance or no insurance... good luck ;-)

michelle121003
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Talk to billing in the hospital. 

kk_bella
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM

What about the hospitals?

They often have debt forgiveness programs, and they will also work with you on the bill.

We have a lot of medical bills too and it's really hard keeping up on all of them.

lizinthecountry
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

What does a loan to consolidate the bills do? Sorry I am new to all of this, I don't understand why people don't want options for their healthcare either, I think most are underinsured and have been fortunate enough not to find out yet...lol.

Quoting peenut0602:

i wouldn't file just yet for bankruptcy... if your daughter has these problems, then she will most likely need continuous care so if you file now, what happens if you rack up more debt for her medical? your better off trying to see if you can get a loan to consolidate the bills... it sucks, me and my kids just went on my husbands medical and it really sucks... he has a high deductible plan, i have alot of health issues and they may need to be put on the back burner becuz of our medical... i dont see what people don't want a universal health care, it would help out alot of people who have bad insurance or no insurance... good luck ;-)

mandalouwhotn
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Talk to the hospitals....most of the time they will write off a bunch and let you pay like $50/month, just so it doesn't ruin your creidt.  It also allows you to contine recieveing treatments from them.

lizinthecountry
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

What are the debt forgiveness programs? Sorry, I am new to all of this medical debt business.

Quoting kk_bella:

What about the hospitals?

They often have debt forgiveness programs, and they will also work with you on the bill.

We have a lot of medical bills too and it's really hard keeping up on all of them.

lizinthecountry
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Really? Oh, okay...yes I think I did this on a $500 medical bill. They said if I were to pay it off they would give me a 20% discount, so I ended up paying off the bill with $400. Is it like that? I am trying to pay $50 a month to each provider, we have a few main ones. 

Quoting mandalouwhotn:

Talk to the hospitals....most of the time they will write off a bunch and let you pay like $50/month, just so it doesn't ruin your creidt.  It also allows you to contine recieveing treatments from them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)