Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think she is a bad mom?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM
  • 18 Replies
I have a friend who is a few weeks behind me in her pregnancy and she told me today that when she is really tired that she will put the baby in front of a movie and go lay down. She said she changes her diaper and feeds her but sometimes the baby watches movies all day while she sleeps. She asked me for advice and I don't know what to tell her. The other day I called her at 11 and she was sleeping and the baby had been up since 8. She never did this before she got pregnant so should I just tell her it will pass or suck it up? I don't want to be too harsh!
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelle121003
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM

How old is her baby?  She's really running the risk of something very bad happening, no matter the child's age...

blondie7221
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

very bad mom, why not put child on her bed with tv on?

Mickiamommyof4

well I hope you find something "appropriate" to tell her! Only advice I have would be too "harsh"

edit: I know that every pregnancy is different but shit I was pregnant with twins ( big enough to break the dr's office record) and still was able to tend to my older child, if she is that tired she needs more supervision for her child's sake~~~put as nicely as I can

AFWifeNMom

WHile i do understand what she is going through about being tired, this is not the way to handle it. If she is so tired that she needs to sleep all day, she needs to see a Dr. If she can not care for her own child during the day, maybe she needs to go to bed earlier at night. What she is doing is not safe for her baby and needs to be dealt with

Lilypie

Pregnancy ticker
Mamamanic
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

She could be really tired. Is she in the same room on the couch listening or across the house in her room? She might need to have blood work checked. I had low iron and was very tired. Or she could be depressed.

McKennasmom03
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Can she get someone to watch her a couple of hours a day? I know being pregnant makes you tired but who needs that much sleep? And safety of the other one??? I would talk to her about this.  

Ginanne
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I would do that when i was pregnant... except my dd was in the same room as me laying in bed next to me watching cartoons on PBS while i slept for an hour or so... it wasnt all day and she was right next to me the entire time... im a light sleeper so i knew when she got up to leave, it would wake me.

Young_Mommy89
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I dont think she's a bad mom but I wouldnt do what she's doing. I have taken a bath while dd is up in the living room (in swing or playpen or exersaucer, never where she could get into anything). But if Im to the point where Im THAT tired I will call someone to watch dd (I have done it when my periods were REALLY bad) or I will ask Df to watch her.

n03z07l08
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

This is basically the same way I was when I was pregnant with my youngest. I would have them come in my room when they got shut the door so they couldnt roam through the house and sleep an extra hour while they watched cartoons or played. But it always made me feel like a bad mom to be honest.

Quoting Ginanne:

I would do that when i was pregnant... except my dd was in the same room as me laying in bed next to me watching cartoons on PBS while i slept for an hour or so... it wasnt all day and she was right next to me the entire time... im a light sleeper so i knew when she got up to leave, it would wake me.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM

That is terrible!  I am pregnant and some days I just can´t do anything but I have a 2 year old and I watch an almost 2 year old.  If I need to I lay on the couch and let them play or we cuddle and read stories while I lay down and take a break.  I am in bed by 9 every night (I am a night owl and usually don´t sleep before 1) because I know otherwise I will be too tired to properly care for them during the day.

Can you offer to watch her baby so she can get some rest without endangering her?  Just an hour or two when she really needs it?

Oops, I just noticed you are pregnant as well.  Well then maybe suggest someone to her who can watch her baby?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)