Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you hire a sitter off the internet?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

I just started working full time, and I need someone to take my son off his bus in the afternoons and watch him and my baby till I get home. My sister is doing that now, but she wont be able to continue once she starts her job again after Labor day. So, my question is, would you hire a sitter off a site like sitters.com or even post an ad on Craigslist?? How would you know if they're honest and reliable??  I'm getting desperate, as I cant find anyone any other way.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Absolutely not!  Especially Craigslist.

The way to help the world is to start with your own family. ~Mother Teresa

monseymom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM

But what about a site like Sitters.com? I'm at my wits end - I need someone for 3 and all the schools around here finish at 4 so I cant even get a neighborhood girl!

Quoting anetrnlov:

Absolutely not!  Especially Craigslist.

reecenkaden
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I was a nanny for 5 years and I was hired off of www.greataupair.com and www.nannies4hire.com 

If you can't post for something local, I'd check there. Craigslist not so much.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!

diane-b
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM

don;t you know a high school girl or neighbor?

Phatpatswife
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM

No, but i'm bias because I don't trust anyone with my children except my family.

Schleetle
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I babysat a girl after putting an ad online... I met with her parents first, did a trial babysitting night, they checked to see if my husband, and I were CPR certified. I guess I would consider it (maybe not craigslist, because I don't like that site at all), but I've been fortunate enough to have family close by when I needed a sitter.

Pregnancy Ticker

ilovelandon06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM

you could try and see if there is a group on here for your town. and get to know the mom before hand

thats how it is here atleast.

goodluck

kksmommy23
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM

That is funny that you posted this.  I put an ad on craigslist offering to babysit, I did one in about April and ended up keeping one little boy.  His mom is a school teacher and his dad got laid off from his job so I havent been needed for awhile but I will be getting him back as soon as his dad is called back to work.  I then posted another ad a couple of days ago and got an email from a woman last night.  her and her boys came over today and we spent some time together and she got to know us a lil and her boys will be coming here starting Monday.  I personally wouldnt hire anyone to keep my kids, I wont even send mine to a daycare, but it has worked out for something for me to do and a way to make some extra money.  Plus, I want to help moms that need a trusty reliable place for their children and cant afford to pay expensive daycare fees.   Daycare is outrageous!!!

calcalmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I would not let anyone watch my kids if I didn't personally know them well.  There are too many creeps on the internet, so no.  I wouldn't.

Love_My_Leah
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I wont ever hire someone to watch our daughter. Its family only for us.

ToddlerRides.gif Rear facing blinkie 2 image by Kipani4jc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)