Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For moms who have maids or cleaning ladies.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am thinking about hiring a cleaning lady to come just once to clean this disaster that has accrued over the past few weeks. I have just been completely swamped with school and just life in general that I haven't had the time or energy to take care of the house. On a scale of 1-10 the mess is about a 6 maybe 7. I just need it cleaned and then I can get back into my routine of keeping it up. So my questions are:

1. Do I have to be here while she is here?

2. Do I need to leave specific instructions on where things go?

3. Will she do any rooms that I request?

4. Should I go with a maid service instead of just any cleaning lady?

5. Will she do things like dishes, toilets, mopping...or do they just take care of the clutter?

6. Is it acceptable to just sit on my ass while she works or should I help out? Because I would really love to just sit on my ass. lol.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jcsg
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I've never had a housekeeper, but I was one before maturnity leave. 

You can stay or go, whichever your comfortable with.

Be very specific.  Or else you may get something cleaned you didn't want or vice versa.

Yes, they should do whatever rooms you requesst.

A service may be more expensive, but usually have more than one person cleaning.  If you go with a cleaning lady, try to find someone who cleaned someones house that you know.

Most will do all things involved w/ housekeeping including dishes, laundry and bed making.  Along with a general cleaning of rooms.  Cleaning clutter is tricky though.  What's clutter to you, may just be garbage to someone else.  So it's really a good thing to pick up stuff you want saved and put it away yourself.  Or it could end up in the garbage.  You could also have a laundry basket set up for them to put stuff in that they wouldn't know what to do with. 

Yes, you can just sit on your ass!  LOL In fact, its better to just stay out of their way.  We tend to clean better with out someone constantely stopping us. 

rebeccasmommy09
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

This sums it up pretty well. I've used both. Previously we would hire a cleaning service to come in on occasion when things got out of hand. We printed out a list that went room by room telling them exactly what we wanted done. We took care of any clutter before they actually showed up though. They just did the actual "cleaning". I now have our babysitter who we pay a little extra each week to clean the house. She does a crappy job at cleaning but since she also watches our dd it would be very awkward to fire her on one job and not the other. Hopefully I'll find a work at home job soon though and it won't matter. I can just fire her, period.

Quoting jcsg:

I've never had a housekeeper, but I was one before maturnity leave. 

You can stay or go, whichever your comfortable with.

Be very specific.  Or else you may get something cleaned you didn't want or vice versa.

Yes, they should do whatever rooms you requesst.

A service may be more expensive, but usually have more than one person cleaning.  If you go with a cleaning lady, try to find someone who cleaned someones house that you know.

Most will do all things involved w/ housekeeping including dishes, laundry and bed making.  Along with a general cleaning of rooms.  Cleaning clutter is tricky though.  What's clutter to you, may just be garbage to someone else.  So it's really a good thing to pick up stuff you want saved and put it away yourself.  Or it could end up in the garbage.  You could also have a laundry basket set up for them to put stuff in that they wouldn't know what to do with. 

Yes, you can just sit on your ass!  LOL In fact, its better to just stay out of their way.  We tend to clean better with out someone constantely stopping us. 

CafeMom Tickers
RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Quoting ilumylexilu:

I am thinking about hiring a cleaning lady to come just once to clean this disaster that has accrued over the past few weeks. I have just been completely swamped with school and just life in general that I haven't had the time or energy to take care of the house. On a scale of 1-10 the mess is about a 6 maybe 7. I just need it cleaned and then I can get back into my routine of keeping it up. So my questions are:

1. Do I have to be here while she is here? IF you trust her, you can leave. I have had one steal pearls from me. But you don't HAVE to be there if you don't want to be.

2. Do I need to leave specific instructions on where things go?You can, I usually just go a walk through of the house and say what I want done in each room. If you don't then they will just put things where they think they should go just to make the house look clean.

3. Will she do any rooms that I request?Yes..the only thing iv come across is "My back is hurt and I can't scrub the floors on my knees or dust the baseboards" which i just say thats ok..i wouldn't want you to hurt yourself over cleaning my house lol

4. Should I go with a maid service instead of just any cleaning lady?Maid service is expensive, both can steal from you. I personally like a maid service because they have references ( or at least been rated) and they have all the proper equipment. and are relible.

5. Will she do things like dishes, toilets, mopping...or do they just take care of the clutter? yes, she'll declutter some, and do dishes..etc.

6. Is it acceptable to just sit on my ass while she works or should I help out? Because I would really love to just sit on my ass. lol.you can help, but it's best to stay out of the way. I leave, because my daughter would be too bothersome..my cleaning lady also likes to listen to music while she cleans. 

PhotobucketLilypie
Duckkie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

We have a twice weekly cleaning lady and have for about 8.5 years now. She was not through a service (they were WAY $$) but she is bonded and I trust her completely. She had excellent references and I made sure I was around the house the first few times she was here.

1. I was home the first few visits, but it has been 8 years since I "watched over" her.

2. I used to leave an instruction sheet about where things went and what NOT to touch/move. Now of course she knows where everything goes. Well, at least until the baby gets here and our house becomes overrun with grandbaby things =)

3. She should do whatever you request and how you request it.

4. That depends on your comfortability with a cleaning lady not attached to a service. Ask for her references and ask if she is bonded.

5. Clutter is something we normally do ourselves. The kids know her job is to CLEAN not pick up after your scattered school supplies, backpacks, unfinished projects, etc. If the cleaning lady gives limits on what they will do.. ie: no mopping, no windows, etc. find someone else as it will just stress you out that you are paying someone to do essentially half a job.

6. Generally I try and stay out of her way (out of the house) when she is here because she is a dervish while cleaning and I just get in the way. I never offer to help it freaks her out! If I have to be home (I work from home 4 months a year) I make sure I am in the opposite part of the house than she is cleaning. Or I go for a walk, go for coffee, sit outside if it is nice and read.  

wow.. that makes me sound snotty! LOL! Really, I'm not. Housekeeping for us is a necessity. It has saved our marriage and avoided MANY fights!

Quoting ilumylexilu:

1. Do I have to be here while she is here?

2. Do I need to leave specific instructions on where things go?

3. Will she do any rooms that I request?

4. Should I go with a maid service instead of just any cleaning lady?

5. Will she do things like dishes, toilets, mopping...or do they just take care of the clutter?

6. Is it acceptable to just sit on my ass while she works or should I help out? Because I would really love to just sit on my ass. lol.

~Lorianne~

I'm a working, pro-choice, Liberal Jewish mom of 3 kiddo's. I don't judge anyone based on their faith, political views, race, sexuality, or choices in life. Please be respectful and don't judge me on mine. I'm addicted to coffee, diet pepsi, McDonald's chicken nuggets, Farm Town, Latte Land, and books. I breastfed, bottle fed, had natural childbirths and a c-section. I support gay rights, gay marriage, and gay adoptions. I am a member of the ACLU and PFLAG. I am also the proud mother/MIL of two US Navy Sailors!

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)