Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the rush to turn a child FF when you KNOW the benefits of ERF? Also what is the rush with using a booster? W/POLL!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM
  • 138 Replies

Poll

Question: Why did you/will you turn your child FF? Why did you move your child to a booster before 4yrs & 40lbs?

Options:

I didn't/don't know about ERF

To see my childs face

Because their legs were scrunched

My child didn't like RF so I turned them FF

I turned my child before the 1yr & 20lbs law

Moved to booster because they outgrew their convertable seat

Moved to booster because it was more convenient

Moved to booster because I didn't know any better

We ERF/EH

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 146

View Results

First of all this is not to start a debate. I will delete it if people start fighting. Also if you are tired of reading carseat posts, then don't bother reading and commenting. You comment will be deleted. This is being posted to educate those who don't know better. Not so we can deal with your negative attitude!

I would like to know what the rush is to turn a child FF and boostering? I was watching a bunch of youtube videos where parents were like my kid in their big boy/girl carseat! Those babies, some don't even look 1yr & 20lbs. I could be completely wrong, but they look too little/young to be FF. So what is the rush to turn a child FF when its been proven to be 5x safer to keep them RF to the limits of their carseat. Also just so people know, there are no documented cases of legs breaking in a car accident due to RF. A child with long legs, or a child whos feet touches the seat, does not have to be turned FF. For more info, just ask. I will be more than happy to share it with you.

I also saw another video of a 1yr old in a BOOSTER on his/her way to their 1 yr APPOINTMENT!!! I will post these videos for others to see.  

I will make this a poll. If you want to comment, please do. If you do not know what ERF is or if you don't know the benefits, please ask!!

These say they are all in the USA. Just so know know.

1yr old in a booster...also without the shoulder belt on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KlV7mtgnU&feature=related

Big Girl Carseat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BepVqYJ8mVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIRLmqY7T50&feature=related

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justplainbecky
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Holy hell those are scary.

I didn't respond in the poll, because we practice ERF and EH with our kids. I ihope that this post can really educate people.

AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Iturned my son FF at 18 months. I know I should have waited longer but the seat feels more secure FF.

ETA: He is still in the 5 point harness and I plan to keep him in there for as long as possbile before moving to booster.

MommaBunch84
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM

18 months is still great! I FF my boys at 18 months as well because I "thought" they had outgrown the height limit (1 inch of shell above their heads). I was wrong and turned them back to RF before they turned 2.

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

Iturned my son FF at 18 months. I know I should have waited longer but the seat feels more secure FF.

ETA: He is still in the 5 point harness and I plan to keep him in there for as long as possbile before moving to booster.

AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM

My son will be 2 in less than a month. His carseat goes up to 80 lbs so I'm sure he won't outgrow it! lol.

Quoting MommaBunch84:

18 months is still great! I FF my boys at 18 months as well because I "thought" they had outgrown the height limit (1 inch of shell above their heads). I was wrong and turned them back to RF before they turned 2.

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

justplainbecky
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM

What seat is he in? If you rear faced it, it probably doesn't forward face to 80lbs (unless its a SunshineKids Radian80). If its a 3-in-1 seat, it will rear face to 35lbs, forward face to 40lbs, then you must remove the harness and use as a booster after 40lbs (or if your childs shoulders go over hte top harness slot or his ears become level with hte seat back.) the top notch on the 3-in-1 seats cannot be used with the harness, only in booster mode.

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

My son will be 2 in less than a month. His carseat goes up to 80 lbs so I'm sure he won't outgrow it! lol.

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

lalala09
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I didn't know about erf when I turned my kids around the doctor told me they were big enough and they could be turned. Now that I know about it if I have another child he/she will erf. My kids are in 5pt harness seats and will be for a long time. I would still like more info on it if I could please, I still don't know much about it, but from what I've heard I like. 

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM

My son asked the other day when he could go back to his old seat (HB Turbo Booster). I said when you outgrow you new one, then you can go back to using the seat belt.  He had a meltdown and I just walked off.  I know now that harnesses are better and that is what they are going to stay in until they hit the weight or height of the GN.  My son is going to max out the weight I think and my dd is going to hit the height first I think. But we will see.

Question:  Can I use the 4th slot on the GN seats with the harness? 

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
bnj03
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I plan on ERF with DD. I am getting a new car seat next month the ERF until 35 lbs. I didnt know about ERF until CafeMom but I am glad I found out about it because I try to do everything I can to make sure she is the safest.

KatherineM
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM

They need there head examined for having that baby in a booster.

7SinsAnna
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM

What is ERF? I see these posts all the time and I’m so confused!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)