Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone's arms fall asleep during pregnancy??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

My left arm has been falling asleep for months now, I'm 31 weeks preggo. It hurts when it happens, feels like my funny bone has been hit and hurts down into my thumb. Is it just pregnancy carpal tunnel or a result of fluid retention? Did this happen to you? I don't have to be sleeping on it for it to happen although it happens every night, I can be doing something simple like holding the phone to my ear. I mentioned it to my Doc and she didn't say a word about it, she just looked at me and gave me no explanation.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM

It is both.  Pregnancy carpal tunnel is caused from fluid retention. 

rocklovinggirl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Yeah, pregnancy can cause it to fall asleep... I think it is mostly in the third trimester. I know mine started after the third trimester. 

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM

lol, I pretty much answered my own question then. I have had numbing arms with every pregnancy, to an extent, mostly at night. But this time it is extreme and it actually hurts. It keeps me awake and it doesn't always go right away by repositioning it or moving it around. I was just curious if it happens to others and what the cause was. Thanks!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

It is both.  Pregnancy carpal tunnel is caused from fluid retention. 

geminishadow79
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM

yep, and my legs too

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Mine started around the 2nd month!! Grrr!

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

Yeah, pregnancy can cause it to fall asleep... I think it is mostly in the third trimester. I know mine started after the third trimester. 

lalala09
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Mine used to fall asleep all the time with both my pregnancies.

brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I had it so bad that I couldn't lay down. I had to sleep sitting up with pillows piled up on each side of me to put my arms on. I spent the last 5 months of my pregnancy with braces on both of my arms because it was so bad.  Good luck with that!

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Wow! I only have until Oct 21st, so hopefully it doesn't get worse, it's bad enough now!

Quoting brvdsmom:

I had it so bad that I couldn't lay down. I had to sleep sitting up with pillows piled up on each side of me to put my arms on. I spent the last 5 months of my pregnancy with braces on both of my arms because it was so bad.  Good luck with that!

isra1986
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM

My right thigh did. I could punch it and not feel a thing. She was sitting on a nerve.

ramadan mubarak

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)