Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone with gardening/lawn knowledge?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

So we rent our duplex and they built a huge deck in front and took out the grass.  The places where the deck and the driveway aren't, they put down wood chips.  They also put cheap plastic under the wood chips to keep the weeds from growing I guess.  Anyway it didn't work, so now I have grass and other weeds in my wood chips and it looks like crap.  Can I just use weed killer or what do I need to do about making the wood chips look decent?  If I had more time and energy, I'd take them out but I don't. 

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
caretta32
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM

yes you can spray weed killer on the wood chips, I would read the directions b/c some require that it be hot for several days for the chemicals to work.

if you could move the wood chips to the side and remove the old landscapers cloth and put a new one down that would be best and then just put the chips back.

SophiaofLight
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Don't know if you have pets, kids and wildlife around but using vinegar will kill most weeds too. (not blackberries tho) Just get a couple gallons of vinegar, pour it on when it's dry outside and the weeds will suck up the vinegar and die. A lot less expensive and safer. I kill weeds all the time this way. Do NOT get it on any flowers that you want to keep.  

SophiaofLight
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Forgot to mention, if you don't like the looks of the wood chips, they sound pretty boring LOL. After you get the weeds killed you might go to your plant nursery and ask them what some pretty ground covers might be if it's ok for you to plant those. A nice minature red japanese maple will add some color too and look nice.  

zgirls009
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM

It is..its so boring and ugly.  When we moved in I was only 7 months pregnant but it was too damn hot to be outside gardening -- now I'm not pregnant and it's still too damn hot.  It's just a big deck and driveway with boring brown wood chips.  Bleh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)