Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about booster seats

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

How old should a child be before putting them in a booster seat?

Do booster seats go by age/weight?

Just curious because my SIL is putting her almost 3 year old in a booster seat and I thought they were for older kids like 5 or 6 years old?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom2Bellarose
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM

anyone?

rina16
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM

The BARE MINIMUM for  a booster is 4 and 40lbs. That isn't safe. My oldest is still harnessed and she is 5.5. She won't be in a booster for a loooooong time. Show her this video and see if it changes her mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Hot Mamas use the right Car SeatBoosters are for Big KidsRear facing BFing

Lindasmama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM

WOW not even 3 yet.The LAW is 4 and 40lbs(depending on state)..Most 4yr old arent even mature enough to sit in a seatbelt with a booster or the right size to fit properly. She needs to be back in a harnessed seat

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Its neither a matter of weight nor age, but rather height and maturity.  Ask in the carseat group for the test to determine booster seat readiness.  NO 3 year old, and certainly no ALMOST 3 year old is mature OR tall enough for a booster seat to properly protect them.  Hell, my son will still be rear facing at almost 3.

Amanda - Attached Mommy to Landon Joel (24 months, 27lbs and still rear facing in a Sunshine Kids Radian 65)

terrabiglieri
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM

My DD booster seat has the high back and says 30 and 3 yrs old as the minimum age. I didnt put my DD in it till 3 1/2 though. My other DD is 3 1/2 now and she escapes, so I just bought her a bigger carseat with the 5 point harness. She just isnt mature enough yet. Every child is different, but under 3 sounds unsafe unless she is like a giant child....

ElShaddi

Its about maturity well  weight/height also. My son will be 4 in Nov. and is very tall weighs 45lbs he is still in a 5pt harness that will keep him until 80lbs then booster to 100lbs and 60'.

mom2Bellarose

Ok that's what I thought. I was shocked when my oldest niece told me her mom was putting her little brother in a booster seat. My DD is 3 1/2 and still ERF. My SIL is the kind of person that "thinks" she knows everything and if you tell her any different she won't ever speak to you again, but don't worry I'm still going to send her the link (thanks) and talk to her. She has 3 kids and is constantly telling me she knows more than me because she has 3 and I only have 1. She thinks I'm to protective and I think she is just nuts!

mom2Bellarose
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:31 PM

No he is very short for his age. He is a good wieght but not very tall.

Quoting terrabiglieri:

My DD booster seat has the high back and says 30 and 3 yrs old as the minimum age. I didnt put my DD in it till 3 1/2 though. My other DD is 3 1/2 now and she escapes, so I just bought her a bigger carseat with the 5 point harness. She just isnt mature enough yet. Every child is different, but under 3 sounds unsafe unless she is like a giant child....

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Quoting mom2Bellarose:

Ok that's what I thought. I was shocked when my oldest niece told me her mom was putting her little brother in a booster seat. My DD is 3 1/2 and still ERF. My SIL is the kind of person that "thinks" she knows everything and if you tell her any different she won't ever speak to you again, but don't worry I'm still going to send her the link (thanks) and talk to her. She has 3 kids and is constantly telling me she knows more than me because she has 3 and I only have 1. She thinks I'm to protective and I think she is just nuts!

Well, one of y'all is correct and it isn't her, LOL. 

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)