Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

in all honesty...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: what would you do?

Options:

go to the ER before she gets severely dehydrated

wait until its an emergency to go to the ER

make an appointment for next week

nothing

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

if you have read any of my recent posts, you know that my 7 week old has severe silent reflux and has only nursed for 45 minutes in a 12 hour period (she usually nurses for 15+ minutes at a time). 

i have been trying to get ahold of anyone in the pediatrics clinic all day, and when i finally got someone on the phone she said they can't give me medical advice over the phone.  she told me that i would either have to make an appointment for sometime next week or go to the ER.  my husband and i decided that we will go to the emergency room because she's so young to risk dehydration.  but i keep doubting if we should since its not an emergency..yet. 

so in all honesty, what would you do if this was your baby? 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MirandaWelch
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I would go.

I hate doctors, I don't go ever. But I don't mess around with potentially life threatening situations. By the time it's an emergency it could be too late, ya know?

mamaoftwins9197
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM

You definitely should take her to get seen..better safe than sorry.  Just be prepared for them to stick her with an IV.  We had to take my son in once when he was really small.  He wouldn't eat for about 2 days.  Once we got there, he took his bottle no problem.  But they were ready to stick him.  Has she been having wet diapers?  If not, then you definitely need to take her.  Good luck!

lovemymarine306
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM

thats how i feel about it too.  i need to learn to trust my instincts.  and in case anyone is wondering...i'm only online because i'm waiting for my husband to get home.

Quoting MirandaWelch:

I would go.

I hate doctors, I don't go ever. But I don't mess around with potentially life threatening situations. By the time it's an emergency it could be too late, ya know?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

cmb121906
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Babies that young can dehydrate very quickly and it can be very very dangerous. I would go.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

lizmarie1975
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Go to the ER

EEFMOM1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Has your baby had a frequent number of wet diapers or poopy diapers?  If not, take her in....it's a sure sign she's dehydrated.  Good luck!

kivalovesricky
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

How many wet diapers in the past 24? You can try pedialyte give 1ml every 15 minutes if she keeps it down for a while she should be fine. But If you go and she is dehydrated already it will be nearly impossible to get an IV in so I say go soon If you cannot get her to keep anything down and if she has not had at least 6 wet diapers in the past 24h.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

My son didn´t have reflux and did the same thing!  He was screaming, wouldn´t nurse, and wouldn´t sleep all day.  He also did not really have any wet diapers.  I took him to the ER since it was a Friday night and they said it was just gas.   He was fine after that though so I have no clue what was really wrong with him!

chloesmommy0208
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM

wow I would get a new doctor I get medical advice over the phone. I would take her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)