Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are in the military or know about it. Particularly Navy. edit

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM
  • 28 Replies

If you are married to someone in the military, your spouse and yourself both get a military ID correct? When your military ID lists a sponsor.. the sponsor would be the person who is serving, the person who makes it possible for you to have a military ID in the first place??

Also if you are not the person serving, would your ID classify you as a civilian? Would a military ID (any branch) say: United States Uniformed Service on it?

One more question, if you are not the person serving.. what does it mean if it says Non-PO under the rank.

*Let me tell you why I ask. Im not military, its not my ID. We just hired a girl a few weeks ago at my work and I think she might be a pathological liar. She's only worked there two weeks and has told people so many different stories to all the co-workers about the same situations that no one believes anything she says. So, we were filing out her paper work. She doesnt drive so she used her Military ID, so I asked her if she was in the military or if it was a spouse or parent out of curiosity. She replied and said she was the one who served and I said "Thats cool, what branch?" and she said Navy. So I looked at her ID to copy the info onto her tax form and as I was reading it I noticed it said 'yes' under 'civilian' and that it listed a sponsor (under her rank it said non-pro or something). Ive never been in the military but Im smart enough to know what civilian means... did she not think I wouldnt know by looking at the card that her husband was the one who served? I guess there is a chance she was in the Navy but only had the card she recieved from her husband being in but its just so weird. I wont bring it up to her or anything but i was just curious about what the things on the card meant. Also she has a glass eye, she is completely blind in one eye, i thought that would disqualify her from joining the military but I could be wrong... im not sure what they accept now a days.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaydensMommy007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

both get an ID card, yours will say dependant and will also say civillian

~It only hurts when I'm breathing, my heart only breaks when it's beating, my dreams only die when I'm dreaming. So I hold my breath to forget.~

prego7386
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

my husbands says active duty and has his pic and name rank branch on it its white and totally different than the one i have. for reserves you get a pink one if your a dependent for active you get brown. it has a crapy pic of you with your info and your husband (or wives) name rank branch and ssn on it. if your married and both serving then you still get the reg service white id card

** im looking at mine right now..on top it has united states uniformed service it says relationship and has a spot that says spouse on it.**

RamonsWife
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I was active Navy for 4 years.  I can answer some but not all of your questions, so, I will give you what I know and hope it helps.

If you are married to an active member of the armed forces, you SHOULD get an ID and yes it will state civilian.  I believe your sponser would be the active member.  And I do believe your ID would say U.S. Uniformed Services. 

(This information comes from myself and my coworker who was active Air Force.)

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I see, thank you.  

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

prego7386
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

i have never seen the non-po thing before sorry :( when hubby gets home i can ask though

Quoting Ziggy-Stardust:

I see, thank you.  

IlyssasMommy

Yours is different. His is vertical, and yours will be horizontal. It's orange-y/brown if you're not reserve, and it says United States Uniformed Services on the front, and on the back it has a part where it says Civilian, and under that 'Yes'. I'm staring at mine right now.

Humboldt0608

This... They switched over to the white cards about 7 years ago when I was in for the active duty and civilian government employees that work on base. The dependents kept the ugly tan ones. Usually just the wives have them and then the kids who are over 9 (I could be wrong about the age) have one as well. If you are both dual military the child gets their own ID card from birth.

Quoting prego7386:

my husbands says active duty and has his pic and name rank branch on it its white and totally different than the one i have. for reserves you get a pink one if your a dependent for active you get brown. it has a crapy pic of you with your info and your husband (or wives) name rank branch and ssn on it. if your married and both serving then you still get the reg service white id card

bakersd79
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

It looks like the other questions have been answered, so I'll address the last one. Non-PO means Non-Petty Officer (I think). If the sponsor's rank (pay grade) is below E-4, he or she is not yet a Petty Officer. E-5 and above is a Petty Officer of some form. I seem to remember my ID card saying that before DH became a Petty Officer.

Dawn - I believe in natural childbirth because our bodies were designed to make and birth babies and I trust and believe in my body's abilities. I breastfeed because I believe that nature provides us with the perfect food for our babies and that if babies were meant to drink formula, we would make that instead of breastmilk. I cloth-diaper because I assume that if I wouldn't want to wear paper underwear, neither do my children. I ERF and EH because I have seen the data and don't want my children to become statistics when I can do more to protect them. Just doing what is best for my family and if you don't agree I AM NOT CALLING YOU A BAD MOTHER!

lilysmommy330
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I just asked hubby and he said the Non-PO thing means Non Petty officer, which E3 and below.

marineskissing

Loving My Marine and my Lily Marie!!!

bakersd79
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting lilysmommy330:

I just asked hubby and he said the Non-PO thing means Non Petty officer, which E3 and below.

So I wasn't just imagining things then! lol

Dawn - I believe in natural childbirth because our bodies were designed to make and birth babies and I trust and believe in my body's abilities. I breastfeed because I believe that nature provides us with the perfect food for our babies and that if babies were meant to drink formula, we would make that instead of breastmilk. I cloth-diaper because I assume that if I wouldn't want to wear paper underwear, neither do my children. I ERF and EH because I have seen the data and don't want my children to become statistics when I can do more to protect them. Just doing what is best for my family and if you don't agree I AM NOT CALLING YOU A BAD MOTHER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)