Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Help: What to do about the manager? LONG LONG VENT

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

My job is okay and I get my work finished on time and correctly, but my problem is the manager. 

The only employees are me, her and her daughter, and the owner. 

If she is having a bad day it is somehow my fault.  Today I couldn't wait for her to leave.  I couldn't do anything right.  I would try to ask questions to clarify before starting the project and she would snap and say I waste time asking too many questions. 

My dh thinks I should quit but I need this job and won't but I am afraid if I try and talk to her I will draw a blank and cry or blow up in her face. 

I hate being snapped at, and I really hate the fact that she talks to my like I was her daughter.  "You need to keep your thoughts and coments to yourself young lady" "Did you not hear me the first time?"

I was never taught how to use the phone, so I do my best, "Entertainment One, this is Krista speaking how can I help you?"  Things like that.

I got in trouble twice today because I didn't properly put the phone on hold, didn't know there was a button for hold.  And I didn't know I could still answer after the answering machine picks up. 

I even had a customer stand up for me today when she said I was ignoring customers.  I was making a custom for one, and the other I was speaking to and stood up for me. 

I just don't know what to do but this stresses me out always being snapped at for no reason. 

UPDATES:

I spoke with the owner on Saturday and today he had me come in early to cover the rest of her shift.  I will be working 42 hours this week because I am also covering her other shifts this week.  Maybe he sent her on vacation, not sure. 

She added my time card from last week and shorted me the 15 minutes that I came in early to finish my lunch one day before clocking on and she started yelling at me for really no reason that was my fault just taking anger out on me.  I changed my time card to refelct that only she isn't honoring it.  Not sure if I should fight for my 15 min or let it go.  Seems petty but if she does this often 15 min adds up.

kkdesignsbanner1.jpg picture by ReachtotheStarsGroupEdits
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I worked for someone like this once before, I quit. I am not 5 yrs. old and do not expect to be treated like I am.

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM

That sort of behavior is a personality issue.  The owner obviously tolerates it.  You are probably not going to ever get her to change, nor will you probably ever do things "right enough" for her.  I agree with your husband.  Nobody should have to be in that situation day in and day out.

Marimaru
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM

You'll either have to talk to the owner and get them on your side, or try to talk to this lady and see what her problem is with you.  Other than that, you'll have to try something else.

pregnancy

Isabelle Rose is due October 18th :)

ReachtotheStars
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I really hope I don't have to quit, I think I will try and get fired if it gets too bad make her life living hell, so at least while I am trying to get another job they will be paying unemployment, and I will tell ss about their work practices. 

I jusr found out that I should be getting at least 30 min breaks because I work 8-10 hour days, and I am getting zero, and when I sit down for a sec to relax I get in-trouble. 

LiesesMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM

When you get tired then let them know you are going on break. If she snaps then just kindly say that you would HATE for her to get in trouble by forcing you to work sans break bc it is illegal. Then smile and relax...

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

I really hope I don't have to quit, I think I will try and get fired if it gets too bad make her life living hell, so at least while I am trying to get another job they will be paying unemployment, and I will tell ss about their work practices. 

I jusr found out that I should be getting at least 30 min breaks because I work 8-10 hour days, and I am getting zero, and when I sit down for a sec to relax I get in-trouble.

ReachtotheStars
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I also need to get around to asking how many hours I will be getting when they hire a new worker. 

TazoChai
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Hello,  Try taking classes part time at a local college for office assistant's.  This will give you better insight to what is required from a receptionist these days (common knowledge).  This is what your manager needs for you to know.  Completing your work on time is wonderful, but if a receptionist does not know proper phone knowledge it will drive your manager crazy.  In turn you will do nothing right in her eyes.  Sounds like she is a perfectionist, that does not tolerate mistakes (even though we know she is by no means perfect).  But remember she is the boss.

Now, don't take me wrong, I feel for you honey.  I've been where you are right now about 30 years ago.  I took a class for about 6mths, became a certified office assistant (since I couldn't satisfy my current boss) then moved on to a better paying job, where I was respected.  I learned how to take a negative situation and make it positive (work for me).  Don't tell her that your working to improve yourself!!!  This is for you not her.  She has her own problems and belittling you seems to be her favorite pass time.

If you can't afford to take classes, go to the library and find out all you can about Receptionist Jobs in Today's World.  There are many resources waiting for you at a library.

If all fails to work for you, leave that job.  You do not deserve to hear someone put you down everyday.  You do not deserve to come home depressed due to an ugly boss.  You have done nothing to deserve this type of boss.  Your boss has issues of her own that are not yours.

Pick yourself up honey, dust yourself off, hold your head high and find another job.  Take to the next job the positives from this job and move forward.  I hope some of these choices work for you.  You deserve to be happy when you come home to your family, Not depressed, or stressed out.

ReachtotheStars
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I am not sure what a receptionist is I was hired to work as retail sales floor.  The classes don't sound like a bad idea but we are broke right now.  Not worth it for my min wage job 20 hours a week. 

Quoting TazoChai:

Hello,  Try taking classes part time at a local college for office assistant's.  This will give you better insight to what is required from a receptionist these days (common knowledge).  This is what your manager needs for you to know.  Completing your work on time is wonderful, but if a receptionist does not know proper phone knowledge it will drive your manager crazy.  In turn you will do nothing right in her eyes.  Sounds like she is a perfectionist, that does not tolerate mistakes (even though we know she is by no means perfect).  But remember she is the boss.

Now, don't take me wrong, I feel for you honey.  I've been where you are right now about 30 years ago.  I took a class for about 6mths, became a certified office assistant (since I couldn't satisfy my current boss) then moved on to a better paying job, where I was respected.  I learned how to take a negative situation and make it positive (work for me).  Don't tell her that your working to improve yourself!!!  This is for you not her.  She has her own problems and belittling you seems to be her favorite pass time.

If you can't afford to take classes, go to the library and find out all you can about Receptionist Jobs in Today's World.  There are many resources waiting for you at a library.

If all fails to work for you, leave that job.  You do not deserve to hear someone put you down everyday.  You do not deserve to come home depressed due to an ugly boss.  You have done nothing to deserve this type of boss.  Your boss has issues of her own that are not yours.

Pick yourself up honey, dust yourself off, hold your head high and find another job.  Take to the next job the positives from this job and move forward.  I hope some of these choices work for you.  You deserve to be happy when you come home to your family, Not depressed, or stressed out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)