Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the difference between an alcoholic and a responsbile drinker

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM
  • 42 Replies

an alcoholic can not stop drinking  and responsbile drinker knows his/her limits.

alcoholic will drink from sun rise to sun set a responsible drinker will not.

an alcoholic will spend his very last dime for a beer a responsible drinker will not

an alcoholic will steal money from his/her own mama for a beer and responsible drinker will not.

there is a big difference between being an alcoholic and a responsible drinker. all because a person drink one beer does not make him or her a alcoholic.

this is my opinion, if you are not an alcoholic if you choose to drink one beer coming home from work and you stop at one it really isn't a big deal as long as you know you can handle one and not become drunk or buzzed.

for the one who say they need the cop called, i do not blame you, if i seen someone drinking and i didn't know  them i might do it as well, i have called the cops one time one a woman who was swerving all over the road and t he dispatcher told me to go around her and i told her NO because she is swerving all over the place and i am scared she will hit me.

i am writting this to just post my opinion, and the let everyone know that there is a difference between the two.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto6under7
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I totally agree.

An alcoholic can't stop drinking. A responsible drinker can. That's what it boils down to for me.

Well, that, and the amount of respect and care they have for their family.

exceptalilfish
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM

do you mean if you see them with a beer in a car? or just like hanging out having a beer?

lh8559
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I agree with you i am a reasonable drinker myself i have gotten into trouble for drinking and driving but now i know my limits so i stop when i know i have had enough and that is not much a beer or two and thats it for me now. But you are right there is a difference between an acholic and a reasonable drinker i totally agree with you. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM

There are many alcoholics that do not drink "from sunrise to sunset."  My aunt never drank a DROP of alcohol before the kids went to bed.  My step-dad had a great job and NEVER drank on the job.

Some of your views are skewed.

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I agree with you.

I drink, but I'm not an alcoholic. I usually just drink if I go out with friends and that may be 2 times a month. Or, I'll have a beer at the end of the day, but very occasionally. I know my limit and when to stop though.

EricaG87
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

A big difference between an alcoholic and a responsible drinker is that an alcoholic is will to risk their license, repuation, freedom, and money in order to crack open a cold one while driving,  a responsible drinker waits until they arrive at their destination where they can drink freely, legally and most importantly safely. 

Iconoclast
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I know you said that this is your opinion but I have seen so-called responsible drinkers do the same thing.  I think that when you can't function normally (because you get the shakes) unless you drink you are an alcoholic. jmo

Quoting confused-mom:

an alcoholic can not stop drinking  and responsbile drinker knows his/her limits.

an alcoholic will spend his very last dime for a beer a responsible drinker will not

an alcoholic will steal money from his/her own mama for a beer and responsible drinker will not.

there is a big difference between being an alcoholic and a responsible drinker. all because a person drink one beer does not make him or her a alcoholic.

this is my opinion, if you are not an alcoholic if you choose to drink one beer coming home from work and you stop at one it really isn't a big deal as long as you know you can handle one and not become drunk or buzzed.

for the one who say they need the cop called, i do not blame you, if i seen someone drinking and i didn't know  them i might do it as well, i have called the cops one time one a woman who was swerving all over the road and t he dispatcher told me to go around her and i told her NO because she is swerving all over the place and i am scared she will hit me.

i am writting this to just post my opinion, and the let everyone know that there is a difference between the two.

confused-mom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM

i am also a social drinker as well and well that may be once every couple of months if that

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

I agree with you.

I drink, but I'm not an alcoholic. I usually just drink if I go out with friends and that may be 2 times a month. Or, I'll have a beer at the end of the day, but very occasionally. I know my limit and when to stop though.

HouseKatof2
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of alcoholics that don't drink form sun up to sun down. There are a lot that do not drink every day.

There are a lot of alcholics that only have a few drinks each night but their focus all day is getting home to have those few drinks (it is what gets them through day to day life).

There are alcoholics that, while it is not every day, simply can't stop at one or two drinks.

There are plenty of "functioning" alcoholics in the world. In fact, there are far more "functional" alcoholics then there are slobbering, out of control alcoholics.  

As a "retired drunk" I was one that didn't drink every day but, when I began, drank until I was sidewalk licking, fall down, felt something cold tap me on the shoulder only to look up and realize it was the floor, drunk.

"It is in our obligation to endure that we achieve the right to know."
~My Dad 

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" 
~Fredrick Douglass

confused-mom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM

yea i know what you are saying an alcoholic fell as if they can't function properly without there beer. and   that is why they get the shakes when they don't drink

Quoting Iconoclast:

I know you said that this is your opinion but I have seen so-called responsible drinkers do the same thing.  I think that when you can't function normally (because you get the shakes) unless you drink you are an alcoholic. jmo

Quoting confused-mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)