Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military moms

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have a question about military airline discounts. Do you know of any? I'm looking around and getting the runaround. When I call and talk with people I get a higher price than what is being offered online. Any help?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvmysoldierTH
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM

BUMP..

I have no idea.

SpiritFortress

I have no clue but here's a bump for you!

bump

mommywife06

The person enlisted has to be riding also. So if you and hubby go then yes you can get a smaller price when you call but if its just you, you dont get the discount 

spcjones203

Online's ALWAYS cheaper.

serioussifL
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM

From what I know, military mamas dont get discounts unless you are traveling with your spouse (on active duty), and even then its only on luggage.

I am a breastfeeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

BOSSYK
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Book a flight here.. they always work best for me....and u dont have to be a AAA member to book...we are military and never really came up on a GREAT deal for discount

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/sem/sem.htm?redirectto=http://www.aaa.com/?area=AirSEM&skin=AirSEM

algmomma
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I have looked a lot! Believe me...It's cheaper to just go to Priceline or something.  Most airlines don't offer it.  Some airlines offer disounts for baggage check, but not all.  Sorry...if there was one out there I would have found it.  Only active duty soldiers traveling on military orders get discounts

Milimommy1027
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I've always gotten one with American Airlines.  It's not much of a discount.  But my soldier doesn't have tob e with me. 

lcappytan05
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM

If they are traveling on orders, they shouldn't have to pay anything to begin with....

OP- I would just recommend going online to order tickets, you can play around with dates and also browse for the best deals (also it's cheaper if you can connect at all)...also, to get the military discount the service member has to be on the flight. good luck!

Quoting algmomma:

I have looked a lot! Believe me...It's cheaper to just go to Priceline or something.  Most airlines don't offer it.  Some airlines offer disounts for baggage check, but not all.  Sorry...if there was one out there I would have found it.  Only active duty soldiers traveling on military orders get discounts

SusanD
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM

The majority of what has been posted in replies is inaccurate. First of all, it is not a "military discount" because the airlines do not offer one. However, the airlines offer military fares, and MOST airlines do offer them. The difference being that a discount is a certain percentage or dollar amount off of whatever applicable price with the same restrictions and regulations. Military fares are completely different. A military fare is a certain fare basis code, and either active duty military OR dependants of active duty military can use this fare basis code. These tickets typically have to be purchased either through a travel agent or through the airline directly. The fare may be higher than the lowest available fare. Then if the fare is a bulk fare ticket or a negotiated fare ticket then the ticket may not be able to be changed or cancelled and applied to future airfare at all....

Here is the difference....the majority of airlines have a 100.00 change fee to make any changes, plus difference in airfare if applicable. There are penalties with regards to where you can change the ticket to, it is generally non-refundable and IF you can't take your flight then you can cancel PRIOR to flying and apply the difference to another purchase through that airline (plus the 100.00 fee and airfare difference) within 12 months. With a military fare there is typically no change fee (and at times there may be a fare difference if there are no seats available at that fare basis code for the particular flight you are changing to) and the depending upon the airline the ticket may be refundable. The benefit is that if say you purchase a military fare ticket to go home on leave and your leave is cancelled...you aren't screwed. However, depending upon the cost, it may be cheaper to just eat it with the highly restrictive ticket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)