Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help. My son just isnt doing well in school.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 42 Replies

Well my son started 1st grade. This was his 1st week, I got a letter from the teacher today. Other then the first day, He was horrible.  2 of the 5 days he had to be removed from class. My son was diagnosed will ADHD 2 years ago. The teacher said he would not stay in his chair, kept interrupting class by talking and making loud sounds. This is exactly what happened last year. By the end of the school year last year, the teacher and Principal had enough of him that they expelled him for the last 3 days. It is so hard seeing my son struggle so much in school. My son does have a hard time sitting still, and needs to be put back on track several times. I just dont like my son missing school so he can sit in the principal office and not learning. He does have consequences here at home when he comes home and the teachers calls letting us know he had a bad day. Nothing seems to work. I feel like I need to protect him, I cant stand they way the teachers talk about my son. They really make me feel like hes a pain in the ass and they wish that he wasnt in thier class room.

I really need some input and suggestions.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Is he on meds? Does he have an IEP? A behavioral plan?

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

LauraKW
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Is your son in any kind of counseling or therapy?  Have you tried making any adjustments to his diet?  Have you tried any over the counter, natural supplements or prescription meds?  What has worked and what hasn't worked for him so far?

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Curious, what measures were taken last year to help your son stay focused in the classroom? What has the school suggested you try? What has your doctor suggested?

mamivon2
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Can you and the teacher maybe come up with a plan. Like where he gets to do 20 jumping jacks every 10 min. Or someone can take him outside and let him run for a min.

Does he take meds for it?

reecenkaden
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Is he medicated? Does the school offer a special education teacher that he can see a few hours a week. It sounds like he needs an IEP (Individual Education Plan) or a new school. And are you sure it's ADHD? He may need a smaller class size. Try doing work books with him at home, having him sit for longer and longer periods and concentrate on one thing. Have you found where he excels yet? Art? Writing? Music? Find something he loves and he'll teach himself to concentrate better.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!

B4lm77
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

dose your school have IEP?? that's what they put my daughter in thank god she is growing out of the adhd and as for my son his only acks up when he is board with what they are teaching him so they give him something that makes him think! maybe he is just board and acking out cause they are not challengehim enough ! good luck worst comes to worst you could put him on a pill anything but riddalin that stuff is bad!!

gagegang
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM

He was on concerta for a year. We didnt give it to him other then school days....he went off of it this summer. We gave it to him the 1st and 2nd day of school. The 2nd day of school he was very angry, I didnt give it to him the next day and the anger went way. He has a apt with his doc on Sept 1st. I think the meds arent working the same way anymore.

I have never heard of a IEP.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Is he on meds? Does he have an IEP? A behavioral plan?

B4lm77
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM

yes no suger !! that is like handing him a loaded gun!!

Quoting LauraKW:

Is your son in any kind of counseling or therapy?  Have you tried making any adjustments to his diet?  Have you tried any over the counter, natural supplements or prescription meds?  What has worked and what hasn't worked for him so far?

gagegang
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM

We tried taking red dye out of his diet, didnt do anything.

We have tried concerta. The beginning of the year was great...then as the year went on it didnt work as well...no it just makes him angry. I took him off it.

Quoting LauraKW:

Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Quoting B4lm77:

yes no suger !! that is like handing him a loaded gun!!

Quoting LauraKW:

The sugar thing is a myth. It doesn't affect a child with ADHD any more than a child without it.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)