Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease. Does that cause an all over body rash? Please help!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:01 AM
  • 12 Replies

On Monday my son had a fever of 102.5, Tuesday 100.5, Wednesday nothing, Thursday-Saturday back to the 100-100.5.  I took him to the doctor on Friday after reading about it & he confirmed he had it.  He also had 2-3 sores on the tip of his tongue.  At the time he said he may develop a rash & blisters. 

Well this morning he woke up with a rash all over (head-toe, except his head).  After reading about it I can't find anything that says the rash would be all over.  Everything seems to indicate the hands, mouth, & feet.  Now I'm confused.

punching                                       playing soccer boy     &         baby in sling    

Rob & Tosh since Feb '98                              Cristian                                 Jayden

by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexy_cookie
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:02 AM

id take him to the er

mommywife06
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Yes it goes away. They cant really do anything about it. Rotate between tylenol and motrin and a warm bath usually helps. It last from 2 days to a week sometimes a week an a half. It will get worse before better, but if you notice too much of it getting bad then I would take him back in 

skylersmom05
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:23 AM
yes when my son had it he got a full body rash and was sick for over a week.
star.dust.
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Yes it does and its nothing to worry about.

Proud Admin to the Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth Group!

lkalajian3
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:37 AM

badgood luckYes my daughter had it and it is no big deal. It doesn't look so hot but like the other posts said it will get worse before it gets better. It will just take some time and it will get better. And what from I understand it is contagious, so if you child is in school they will have to be taken out until it gets better.

OAmy
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

My daughter had the same thing earlier this summer...it was actually roseola, but I swear she had hand, foot, and mouth. She had strange spots on her tongue.

Either way, its just a virus but let me tell you...my daughter was so itchy! I had to scratch her back all day for days!

Hope your little one is feeling better soon.

Shellee272
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

It gets worse before it gets better.  If that makes any sense. 

mommy2cristian
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

thought it might be that but his fever only got to 102.5.  At first it was 101.5 & I was letting it play out because he seemed sleepy but fine.  It went up & I gave him Tylenol later Motrin.  Plus, this didn't happen until Friday.  It's been mindboggling to say the least.

Quoting OAmy:

My daughter had the same thing earlier this summer...it was actually roseola, but I swear she had hand, foot, and mouth. She had strange spots on her tongue.

Either way, its just a virus but let me tell you...my daughter was so itchy! I had to scratch her back all day for days!

Hope your little one is feeling better soon.

LEJOLIE
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM

YEP. I JUST HAD MY BOY IN AND THE DR.EXPLAINED THAT IF HE DOES HAVE IT HE WILL BE SPOTTY EVERYWHERE.   However it was athroat virus he had. white puss pockets all the wayin the back of his throat. (if you have aflashlight and are able to get him to open his mouth wide you can see it) it gives bad breath also. The first time he had it they gave him amoxicillian cause he had fever and ear infection.This time she gave nothing and it ran acourse of 5 days and dissapeared. 

mommy2cristian
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Thanks to all you ladies!  I was going to rush him back in thinking it was something else.  I appreciate all your advice.  Worse before better, huh?  Well that sucks.  I'm just hoping once it's over he'll sleep through the night again AND preferrably no longer in my bed cause right now he doesn't want his. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)