Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

14 Years Old and Not Starting Puberty?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is 14 years old.  He just went in this morning for his annual exam and the doctor said he is not showing any signs of starting puberty yet.  he is very small for his age.  He is in the 5% for height/weight and has always been in the 10% or less.  The doctor said he is growing on his curve, which is good.  But is starting to get concerned.  We are going to take him in for the bone age test and then discuss jump starting puberty or waiting.

Has anyone else had to deal with this?  What have you guys done?

Thanks for your help!

by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoguesMommy
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My BIL is 18yrs old now- he didn't start puberty until he was 16 and a half! but he did it at his own pace...I say wait a few more years.

I would actually be happy if my children are late bloomers...

PhotobucketLilypie
NO1LKME3
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I would let it happen naturally, but that is just me.

My daughter was 16 before she started her menses....

Candie~~

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Did he get picked on for being smaller than all the other boys or not really being into girls?  This hasn't happened to Tristan yet, but that is my fear.

Quoting RoguesMommy:

My BIL is 18yrs old now- he didn't start puberty until he was 16 and a half! but he did it at his own pace...I say wait a few more years.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM

That's what we are leaning toward, but I am interested in what the tests show.

Our daughter is going to be an early bloomer, and he will be a late bloomer.  Dang kids - can't they get their stuff together so Mom and Dad know what to do?!  LOL   I'm just kidding...

Quoting NO1LKME3:

I would let it happen naturally, but that is just me.

My daughter was 16 before she started her menses....

Candie~~

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I think there was an article a while back about how the level of fat (healthy or otherwise) in a child can affect their schedule of puberty.  Like the PP said , i would wait it out.  He could be a late bloomer and suddenly change in 6 months.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM

You mean like their BMI?  In that case he may never start puberty.  LOL  He is all skin and bones.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think there was an article a while back about how the level of fat (healthy or otherwise) in a child can affect their schedule of puberty.  Like the PP said , i would wait it out.  He could be a late bloomer and suddenly change in 6 months.

mommy2xp
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM

i would want to wait for it to come naturally, and only being 14 i dont think it's such a big deal that he would need medical intervention just yet, maybe at 16 or 17 but not yet.  but he is 14 and this is his body, have you asked him what he wants?

Pregnancy ticker

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I haven't talkedto him yet.  Hubby took him to his appointment this morning.  Trust me - we are very open with discussing medical issues with him.  He has ADHD and is in on all of this treatments and such.  We don't even really know what the options are yet until we do the X-rays.  But yes, we will talk to him and get his input.

Quoting mommy2xp:

i would want to wait for it to come naturally, and only being 14 i dont think it's such a big deal that he would need medical intervention just yet, maybe at 16 or 17 but not yet.  but he is 14 and this is his body, have you asked him what he wants?

RoguesMommy
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM

He did get teased. His mom has a voice recognition phone and will only work if its her voice, but his voice worked with it too lol He was very skinny, short, had a high voice, wasn't interested in girls...all his friends at school were dating, tall, deep voice, zits and had different interests...they grew apart. His old friends got into drugs and sex. Since Brody (my BIL) was late...he made different friends that were late bloomers too and they just now got into girls and sex- they're 18 now.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Did he get picked on for being smaller than all the other boys or not really being into girls?  This hasn't happened to Tristan yet, but that is my fear.

Quoting RoguesMommy:

PhotobucketLilypie
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Yeah, but puberty doesn't mean you get into sex and drugs.  I hate to think of him getting harassed because of his body.  Just as I would hate for my daughter to get harassed because of HER body.  Know what I mean?  We will definitely ask him what he thinks after the tests.  Thanks for your input, though.  I like hearing different perspectives.

Quoting RoguesMommy:

He did get teased. His mom has a voice recognition phone and will only work if its her voice, but his voice worked with it too lol He was very skinny, short, had a high voice, wasn't interested in girls...all his friends at school were dating, tall, deep voice, zits and had different interests...they grew apart. His old friends got into drugs and sex. Since Brody (my BIL) was late...he made different friends that were late bloomers too and they just now got into girls and sex- they're 18 now.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Quoting RoguesMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)