Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Two year old with headaches?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

How many 2 year old kids have headaches? My 2 yr. old is always complaining that she has a headache and I am not sure what I should do. She follows her complaint with "I want medicine" which is Tylenol. I am not sure if she really has headaches or if she just likes the medicine. Her dad has constant headaches though so I don't want to not give it and have her in pain. What would you do? Does she just like the medicine or is it really helping?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommak78
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I took my 2 year old to dr for headaches and he determined that he was not drinking enough water. He was not severly dehydrated but he was enough that because migraines run in my family, he wanted him to be more hydrated. I would check it out. You can also by sugar pills"medicine" that your child can take to just see if she thinks they really work. if so, you may know she is just sayng that. anyway, just piece of advice!

mommak78

myfoursonsks
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I have seen kids that actually do like the medicine and will give whatever complaint works to get it.  My youngest is actually like that still and he is 7.  He has always done that. 

I would try giving her something that isn't medicine sometime...maybe color some corn syrup and make her think she is getting medicine.  If you ask if it is all better and it magically is, then you will know she is just wanting the medicine.

DaisyAg2003
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Have you had her eyes checked?

ToriNicole
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM

i would tell her to go laydown and see if that helps first and see what she does if she goes in there and starts playing i would guess she just likes the medicine but if she actually goes in there and lays down she is getting the headaches and i would talk to the doctor about it.

Tori

theRonimal
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I can tell when my daughter actually has a headache because she has the symptoms: cranky, tired, grabbing her head with her hands, avoiding light with her eyes, etc. She also asks for medicine, because she knows it helps.  You can always try giving her some flavored syrup in a medicine spoon/dropper first, and if she still complains of the head, you know it's genuine. 

stevi3905
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Thanks. I think I might try the sugar pill medicine. I know that she drinks a whole lot but maybe it is not being absorbed right (that's what happened to me when I was 5).

Quoting mommak78:

I took my 2 year old to dr for headaches and he determined that he was not drinking enough water. He was not severly dehydrated but he was enough that because migraines run in my family, he wanted him to be more hydrated. I would check it out. You can also by sugar pills"medicine" that your child can take to just see if she thinks they really work. if so, you may know she is just sayng that. anyway, just piece of advice!

mommak78

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

LauraKW
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM

What does the Dr say?

stevi3905
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Quoting DaisyAg2003:

Have you had her eyes checked?

Yes she has been to a pediatric opthmalogist.

imechard
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM

My oldest kept having headaches at that age. I think it was because I always have headaches and would lie down and tell him that I had a headache. I think that I would not give her medicine for maybe half an hour, and give her something to drink instead that she is to finish. While she is drinking that color or paint or draw with her to distract her from her original complaint. Then if she still complains tell her that with a headache you get medicine but have to go lie in bed for a while, while only being allowed to play quietly and see what she does.

If she STILL has a headache after that, make an appointment with the doctor and see if they can figure something out

stevi3905
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Quoting theRonimal:

I can tell when my daughter actually has a headache because she has the symptoms: cranky, tired, grabbing her head with her hands, avoiding light with her eyes, etc. She also asks for medicine, because she knows it helps.  You can always try giving her some flavored syrup in a medicine spoon/dropper first, and if she still complains of the head, you know it's genuine. 

See that's why I am so unsure. She never has the normal reactions to pain and illness as are common with other kids. I can remember her having a fever of 103 and her still playing like normal with her sister. I really never know if she is in serious pain unless she tells me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)