Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Assistance (some facts)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 AM
  • 125 Replies

*this is an actual journal I wrote, hence why it is so long*

You read the title right.  It seems that for a brief while a few months back, some of the mommas were in a tizzy, griping about those on PA.  It was always the constant "Well, I have nothing against those who need it, just those who abuse it...." etc etc...

These mommas gripe about the cars they see PA recipients driving.  Do you really go out and see what they drive?  And how do you know that their car wasn't something acquired before PA?  Are they supposed to allow it to get repoed and buy a beater, tarnishing their credit for the next seven or ten years?  If the car is paid for, are they expected to actually sell it, buy a cheap beater, and use the money to keep them off of PA?  While newer cars have their own troubles, no one in their right mind would sell their two year old Expedition and buy a twenty year old Geo.

Some say that if you're working, you have no right to even apply, qualify or not.  Well, I suppose those people lived under a rock for the past several years because there are MILLIONS of hardworking families out there who had no choice but to apply for assistance.

And god forbid if you find yourself preggo.  Then you're irresponsible and only got pregnant to get more PA.  Most of the haters don't even know that the maximum cash assistance (TANF, AFDC) is not even enough to make cheap rent, let alone live like kings, regardless of how many children you have. 

If you're getting assistance of any kind, then phone, internet and cable should be barred from your access outside of libraries or friends' houses.  Guess what, I get food stamps and medicaid for my daughter.  We have internet and unlimited long distance telephone.  I'm not going to deprive us of entertainment just because we are in a tight spot.  And it's not like it's breaking the bank.  Fifty dollars a month for the package.  I can't even buy us a weeks worth of food with that.

I actually read some interesting books during my brief stint at unemployment.  One was about welfare as it stood before the reform that took place in 1995(or maybe 1998).  The other was about the effects of the reform after it went into affect.  Did you know that it actually costs taxpayers more since the reform took place?  That the old system was actually cheaper?

The average monthly cash assistance check for an average family was maybe $400 a month.  Once the reform took place and caseworkers had to push for welfare recipients to obtain full time work, taxpayers now had to pay for transportation, child care, car repairs(if necessary), gas for cars, etc.  They had no choice since most welfare recipients could only get low wage jobs that often could not pay enough to cover these costs.  And the sanctions were crazy.  Low wage jobs usually hold odd hours that fall outside of childcare schedules, so many of the recipients couldn't keep jobs (and not having adequate childcare was not a good enough reason to not work, per the reform rules).  Many were sanctioned off the rolls due to no real fault of their own.  But for those who managed to "succeed"?  The taxpayers ended up paying thousands of dollars a month to keep them working.  And the whole myth about women popping out kids to keep getting more assistance is just that....a myth.  The average welfare family consisted of usually no more than two children.  The ones that had several kids or more were often those who fell on hard times some years after the youngest child was born.

This is not to say that people don't abuse the system.  Of course there are.  And no matter what the government does to "reform" the system, there will always be those who find ways around it.  The current system requires you to search for a job unless you have a medical reason not to.  You cannot just sit, collect a check and pop out babies.  It's not possible under the current system.  And while it was possible under the old system, most did not do it that way.  The Cadillac driving welfare queen with six kids and five different dads is actually nothing more than a fabrication.  An urban legend. 

* Women and Children Last: the plight of poor women in affluent America, and Flat Broke With Children: women in the age of welfare reform*

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Earth-Angel
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Fact about PA! The more kids you have, the more PA you get and if you kick your man to the curb! lol 

Babs

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Nope, its called the child cap rule. Look it up.

Quoting Earth-Angel:

Fact about PA! The more kids you have, the more PA you get and if you kick your man to the curb! lol 

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

honey27
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM

clapping 

MELISSA
randi1978
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:28 AM

True true.  They have caps on all: TANF, food stamps and medical. 

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

Nope, its called the child cap rule. Look it up.

Quoting Earth-Angel:

PAbbs09
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I am completely convinced that the ignorant and judgemental will remain that way. You can lead a man to information but you can't make him think!

kiss

cheyeone
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM

simple smileclapping

all the siggys seem to say all theses beliefs that each mom has... I just believe that each of us raise our kids to the best of our abilities and pray they become responsible adults someday. so really does it matter if we erf or bf or ff or co-sleep or tummy sleep or are sahm or single moms who work 2 jobs to pay the bills. all that matters is we love our kids and want the best for them.

My girls Angel 13, Bella 6, and Dani (6/25/09)

randi1978
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:34 AM

What is so sad is that the ones who judge will be on here going on about how they "know" someone who abuses, etc etc....and the definition of abuse is broad.  If you don't really need them, but qualify and use them, it's abuse.  If you are having sex, it's considered potential abuse because of the possibility of pregnancy (remember, you're only having another to get more PA!), etc etc

abbyleigh
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM
Amen
AidersMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM

clapping

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM

the most money the state will give you in WA (unless you are disabled) is 540/ month cash and 460 a month food. and medical with no co pays. and theres daycare ast. wic, all that. but money is 900. wtf are you gonna do with 900 a month? i don't think people realise how hard people on pa have it, true it is "free" money. but not something you can easily live on. you can't even pay rent with that! unless you live in subsidized housing which is 30%. so take that down to 378. can you live on that? with electric and necesities like diapers? much less drive an escalade like people claim they see "all the time"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)