Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im letting him CIO so shoot me!!! lol

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM
  • 29 Replies

My DS hasn't slept more than 1 and 1/2 hrs a night for the last 3 nights and WON'T take a nap... ive tried EVERYTHING!!! He just won't sleep... So tonight I let him CIO of the first time in 3 months... I went in every half hr for almost 3 hrs... and comforted him and HE's FINALLY asleep... but NOW my Friend is b*tching at me and telling me Im a horrible person for letting him CIO for that long!!! Im sorry but not sleeping isn't good for him OR me... He's been asleep for almost 2 hrs... I HOPE HE SLEEPS THE REST OF THE NIGHT!!!

so am I horrible for letting him CIO??

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:16 AM

I'm sure you did the best you could - but it does not sound like CIO has sat well with you.

Maybe check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" - it is a great book that has some wonderful non-cio sleep solutions.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM

I personally could never do the 30 min wait out, I could only handle 15 min and then reassuring the child. I hope he sleeps through the night for you.  If it works for you then dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

apeclark2008
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Well... my SO doesn't like it... but he also won't stay up all night with him... So I told him either He CIO OR u Stay up all night and U DO NOT wake me up.... He just hid in our room til he fell asleep... and watched him on the baby monitor with the sound off.... Just to make sure he was ok...

SO has that book... tried just about everything... But nothing worked....

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I'm sure you did the best you could - but it does not sound like CIO has sat well with you.

Maybe check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" - it is a great book that has some wonderful non-cio sleep solutions.

10Rah26
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:22 AM

no, and if you're friend has that much of a problem with it, ask her if she'd like to volunteer her time with the kid that won't sleep.  I bet she'd change her tune.  Otherwise, tell her to shove it and go get yourself some guilt-free sleep.  You're the parent here, you know what's best for you and your son.  Besides, it will help him learn to self-soothe--and you didn't completely ignore him, you still checked on him. 

pregnancy calendar
masonsmommii
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM

My sil bugs the hell out of me to let my son cio, i cant do it , it breaks my heart and he would cry for hours ,the only reason she wants me to is because he wont sleep in his bed he wants mamma but thats ok with me i feel better knowing hes with me, ive always been scared of like kidnappers and stuff lol

Lovingmyboys07
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:25 AM

That is far too long to CIO IMO.

air force bridebaby boy

lovemymarine306
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:25 AM

you could always try the Sleep Easy Solution...it has great tips for CIO.  but i think only you know whats best for your child

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

apeclark2008
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:26 AM

I did!! LOL!! I actually struck her silent!! LOL!! it was great!! she didn't answer just told me I was a horrible person for letting him do that... he'd sleep when he was tired!! Im like "HE'S BEEN TIRED FOR THE LAST 3 FREAKING DAYS!!! HOW TIRED DOES HE HAVE TO BE FOR HIM TO WANT TO SLEEP!!!!" She just hung up on me...

Quoting 10Rah26:

no, and if you're friend has that much of a problem with it, ask her if she'd like to volunteer her time with the kid that won't sleep.  I bet she'd change her tune.  Otherwise, tell her to shove it and go get yourself some guilt-free sleep.  You're the parent here, you know what's best for you and your son.  Besides, it will help him learn to self-soothe--and you didn't completely ignore him, you still checked on him. 

apeclark2008
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:29 AM

thats the longest we've ever done it... But Its either that.... or fall asleep while he's up which is something Im NOT willing to do... The longest we've ever let him CIO was for an hr... But I know its to long but we were out of options...

Quoting Lovingmyboys07:

That is far too long to CIO IMO.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Quoting 10Rah26:

I agree with this.

I did CIO and it was hard at times, but we got through it. After a while DS had no problems going to bed. He is now 2.5 and almost never fights going to bed. We are and have always been consistent with putting him to bed and letting him know it IS bedtime. No if's and's or but's about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)