Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have double standards between your sons and daughters?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM
  • 4 Replies

I only ask because DH and I got into a discussion about this the other day. We are having a daughter,and as far as he is concerned, she is already grounded lol! No makeup, no dating til she is 30, etc etc. I imagine most men are like this when it comes to their daughters.(sadly, Im just as protective!) But when we were talking about a son he was saying how we would decorate his nursery in playboy centerfolds, and Sports Illustrated swimsuit pics, teach him how to pick up girls etc. It struck me as funny because when he was saying all this, it didnt bother me! I mean, it should, because it IS a total double standard.Now of course, this could be just because I know Im not having a boy, but Im much more lax when it comes to thinking about a son vs. a daughter. Do you have double standards when it comes to a son vs. a daughter? 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Nope, they will be treated the same. 

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

3earthangels
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM

I don't think I do, but DH definitely does. He's talking about razor wire, thorned bushes, moats with alligators, and shot guns for when the girls turn into tweens. But DS is going to have boxes of condoms, encouraged to pick up girls (I kindly reminded him those girls are someone's baby girl...), given cash for dates, and even plans on taking him & my nephew to Las Vegas when they graduate HS.

I personally would much rather not seen half naked people on my kids' walls, will give condoms to all 3 (and BC for the girls while telling DS some girls lie), and encouraging responsible and safe sex. He thinks I'm crazy and we need to home school the girls before they are old enough to date...

The US Immigration Support Group - We know it's hard. We'll give you a shoulder to cry on, friends to laugh with, and a helping hand.

meagansmama1009
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM

haha def sounds like we are married to the same man. Im not as lenient as he is, but it doesnt make me cringe quite as much to think about my son dating as my daughter. I tell dh the same thing about any girls a son may date- they are all someones baby girl! lol 

I don't think I do, but DH definitely does. He's talking about razor wire, thorned bushes, moats with alligators, and shot guns for when the girls turn into tweens. But DS is going to have boxes of condoms, encouraged to pick up girls (I kindly reminded him those girls are someone's baby girl...), given cash for dates, and even plans on taking him & my nephew to Las Vegas when they graduate HS.

I personally would much rather not seen half naked people on my kids' walls, will give condoms to all 3 (and BC for the girls while telling DS some girls lie), and encouraging responsible and safe sex. He thinks I'm crazy and we need to home school the girls before they are old enough to date...

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:36 AM

ewwww no!!! We grew where the boys did whatever they wanted and my mom was on her daughters like a hawk. I was in college and brought home condoms, and put them on my dresser(wasn't having sex, just thought they were cute). my older brother had always had a large collection of condoms all over his room and my mom said nothing. She walked in my room saw my condoms and freaked. Went on and on about how sex before marriage was wrong, and horrible and I had only got them because the school gave them away free, and I was really confused as to why they came in flavors I actually wanted to taste it and see if it really did(it did not). lol Who would want there penis to taste like a banana. lol. Anywho I was so upset with my mom. I was not having sex, but she knew my brother was and she said, and did nothing. Then if I was out at night on a date she stalked me. Calling my phone all night long quoting scriptures lol (I love my mom but she was so wrong) lol Me an dh joke about how when we were out, at a certain hour she would blow up my phone and threaten to come get me, or take my car away. But my brothers would start at like 16 running the streets, and not coming home. I appreciate it to an extent, but It was totally not fair. Anywho I will not do that to my kids. My boys ill be held to the same standards as my girls and I am not encouraging sex, or trying to make my sons into little players and I wont with my girls either. We will teach both what is right, and wrong and if they do something different then they will have to live with the consequence.Dh dosent do that either, me and him are on the same page about that. We will teach not sex til marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)