Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about plastic and glass bottles!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

okay so my mil suggested dr brown and avent bottles when i first found out i was pregnant, then i started learning about bpa and all this crap that can be in plastic bottles, and how you have to be really choosey. (okay so i didn't exactly learn any specifics i was just aware of this stuff)

then my mom told me she wanted me to use glass bottles and that was it, my decision was made.

why don't more women use glass bottles? it seems they are much less risky than plastic ones..

i'm not fully educated on this topic as you can probably tell, just looking for some enlightenment :)

pregnancy calendar

♥ Emma Leigh Anne Taylor

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM

They are much more expensive. BPA is a risk if you heat your formula in the actual  bottle. It has to be released by heat. 

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

Rhynestonefreak
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Glass bottles aren't that expensive, we buy the Munchkin ones and they are $2.99 for a single bottle. We also has Playtex drop in's, I LOVED those, but hated having to keep buy the bags. The only thing I'm not too happy about with the glass bottles is the tops keep getting looser, so formula will leak out and get on the baby. Instead of asking your mom, have you set up an appt. with your baby's pediatrcian? They can usually tell you which product is the best to use.

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

katiexoxo
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

They are much more expensive. BPA is a risk if you heat your formula in the actual  bottle. It has to be released by heat. 

so is bpa a risk even if you use glass bottles? i've just seen plastic bottles advertized as bpa free and colic free. i def. do not understand how they can be colic free lol.

also i buy evenflo glass bottles at three something for a three pack of 4oz, i forget how much the three pack of 8oz cost.

katiexoxo
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Quoting Rhynestonefreak:

Glass bottles aren't that expensive, we buy the Munchkin ones and they are $2.99 for a single bottle. We also has Playtex drop in's, I LOVED those, but hated having to keep buy the bags. The only thing I'm not too happy about with the glass bottles is the tops keep getting looser, so formula will leak out and get on the baby. Instead of asking your mom, have you set up an appt. with your baby's pediatrcian? They can usually tell you which product is the best to use.

yeah i've heard good things about playtex drop ins.. but liners seem like a bunch of extra work, of course i don't actually know that though. and no we're still choosing a pediatrician, we've narrowed it down to two. but i will write down to ask them about it!

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:01 AM

BPA is only in plastic bottles. I think when they say colic free its because they dont have as much air in the bottles.

Quoting katiexoxo:

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

so is bpa a risk even if you use glass bottles? i've just seen plastic bottles advertized as bpa free and colic free. i def. do not understand how they can be colic free lol.

also i buy evenflo glass bottles at three something for a three pack of 4oz, i forget how much the three pack of 8oz cost.

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

mommyto3in08
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM

My fav bottle ALL time is the The VentAire Advanced Crystal Clear Bottle

The crystal clear ones dont leak  and are a little more expensive but are by far the best I have ever used.. (with my 3 and from the time I was 14-19 I took care of my neices while their dad worked)

butterflyblu
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:39 PM

There are plenty of plastic bottles that are BPA free.  Many now say directly on the packaging "BPA free".  I did my research and made sure my son only had BPA free bottles and sippy cups.  I never used glass bottles.  My son wasn't picky about bottles, and I found that the cheap Evenflo and Gerber bottles that sell for $2.99 for a 3-pack are BPA free.  So you don't have to spend a lot of money to get BPA free bottles.   Do a Google search for BPA free bottles and you come up with a few sites that have lists of baby products that are BPA free.   You don't have to heat a bottle for it to leach BPA into the contents, however heating bottles or putting them in a dishwasher increases the amount of BPA that is released.   Also, canned formula has higher levels of BPA than powdered formula because BPA is in canned food as well.  There is BPA in the lining of the can. 

charady
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I just recently read something about all the bpa hype.  Basically in order to leach any of it out of the plastic bottles, not only do you need to heat the formula (or whatever liquid) in the bottle, but you have to have it boiling temps in order for it to leach out.  Basically they found out it leaches with boiling water, so then there was this mass hysteria about it possibly getting into everything from the plastic.

Granted, now about every plastic bottle or sippy at the stores are sure to have a big BPA FREE sticker on them. So most now is considered "safe".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)