Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well this just sucks!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM
  • 9 Replies

I yousta live right by this school. I dont think I would send my kids to school if there were no paper. i am sure that this is going to hurt there education. THe sad thing is this schools is in a really nice area.

School Cuts Back On Homework To Save On Paper

More Local News

NATOMAS, Calif. (CBS13) ―

The cash crunch is hitting a local school hard enough that they have to cut back on homework for students in an effort to save paper.

Heron School in Natomas, a kindergarten through eighth grade school, has had its supply budget wiped out by financial cuts. At the beginning of the school year, teachers were given only five reams of paper.

Some students, like seven-year-old Casey Campbell, are happy after hearing that there would be no weekly homework packets handed out anymore, but parents are less thrilled.

"Oh my gosh, he's so excited he has no homework," said Tonya Campbell, Casey's mother. "They said it was because of the budget, they weren't going to have money for paper."

Heron School interim principal Doug Orr showed CBS13 the empty shelves in the school's supply room that would normally be filled end-to-end with reams of paper.

"Anytime parents could donate time, or paper, pencils, pens or sports equipment, those are all things we need," Doug said.

Doug said some teachers have assignments available on the web or through e-mail, and officials aren't sure when they'll have the money to buy more paper.

Tonya said parents are needed more than ever in school and at home, so she realizes she may have to provide her own homework for her son, at least for right now. She bought Casey a book and is helping him with assignments from there.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Rhynestonefreak
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM

they can't afford PAPER?

I'm sure places like Office Depot, Office Max, Kinko's could donate paper to the school, what about the kids whos parents can't afford the internet?

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

catwalksymphony
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM

The kids don't have books and notebooks? They can't be asked to read/answer questions from their books? When did teachers become so relient on prepared worksheets? It's gotten to the point where the institution has taken away TALENTED teachers... anyone with the ability to read can follow a syllabus and hand out worksheets. Sheesh.

randi1978
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Well, I think kids get way too much homework nowadays as it is (seriously, who the hell gives homework to kindergartners?), I am sad to hear of more budget cuts.  Where I live, the lotto earnings were supposed to go towards education, but we keep seeing more and more stuff hit the chopping block.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM

California is broke!!!!

Quoting Rhynestonefreak:

they can't afford PAPER?

I'm sure places like Office Depot, Office Max, Kinko's could donate paper to the school, what about the kids whos parents can't afford the internet?

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Most kids get a packet to complete during the week, and turn it in on Friday. Its not in workbooks. I think only the schools with more money get workbooks because you have to replace them every year, as apposed to the hardcover books that you can use over and over again,

Quoting catwalksymphony:

The kids don't have books and notebooks? They can't be asked to read/answer questions from their books? When did teachers become so relient on prepared worksheets? It's gotten to the point where the institution has taken away TALENTED teachers... anyone with the ability to read can follow a syllabus and hand out worksheets. Sheesh.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Why can't the teacher write the questions on the chalk board and have the children copy them down in their notebooks? Thats what they used to do in the old days. 

catwalksymphony
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM

but why can't the teacher write the questions and have them copied? Why can't the kids just answer questions from their books? Why can't the kids be expected to read some thing and have a class discussion about it? I just don't get why the workbooks or papers sent home are the qualifiers in the equation...

Quoting misssy2000:

Most kids get a packet to complete during the week, and turn it in on Friday. Its not in workbooks. I think only the schools with more money get workbooks because you have to replace them every year, as apposed to the hardcover books that you can use over and over again,

Quoting catwalksymphony:

roxy85
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Actually sounds like a good idea as long as the students are doing enough learning DURING school. I grew up in So Cali and when I was in elementary school we didn't come home with hours of homework. We already spent to much time at school. We had to do things like read books about the topics we were studying.

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

LeanneC
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM

This happened when I was in high school.   Our english and science departments had no money for paper.  Teachers just wrote the assignments on the board, or a projector and we copied everything.  No biggie.

I don't see why it's a huge issue... we're in crisis right now, they've got to make cuts somewhere, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)