Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Omg, I could have beat him today..

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM
  • 24 Replies

Ok, maybe not beat him. I dont beat my child but Omg, I was so furious with him. We were at my friends house. Her DH is about to deploy & she's going home during deployment so I wont see her for a year. Anyway, she has a 2 year old daughter, the same age as my son.

First, they were upstairs watching TV & he kept turning it off. I repeatedly told him we dont touch the tv. He said okay & that was the end of it. So I thought, he kept doing it so I swatted his bottom.

Then, we hear Maddy screaming so we go upstairs (they were playing & watching tv in the bedroom) & Elijah had gotten the Febreeze & sprayed it all over the room & on himself & Maddy. Nice.

Then this is the last thing that did it. Apparantly she did something to piss him off & he scratched her & tore her necklace off her neck. Broke the flippin chain!!! I offered to buy a new chain & told my friend over & over how sorry I was. She said it wasnt a big deal to her, but that her DH may be angry. (Which I dont blame him one bit, I was furious with my son as well for doing that.)

I just dont know what to say...I'm shocked at his behavior. He's only two. Is this part of the terrible two's? Am I doing something wrong? I mean he was a little monster. Now it was way past his bedtime & they were both tired but still..that kind of behavior has no excuse. I just needed to vent. I cant believe my child behaved the way he did..

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fragglerockette
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Hes 2! ? !!!!

iraqimoonbeam
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM

that probably sums it up!

Quoting fragglerockette:

Hes 2! ? !!!!

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:43 AM

Quoting fragglerockette:

Hes 2! ? !!!!

Agreed.

Has he played with her before? Does he play with kids his age regularly? Maybe that has something to do with it too. I would suggest monitoring him a little more when he is around other kids. Dont let them be alone for more than a few minutes.

AVON_Mama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Welcome to the world of terrible two's with a boy. Been there. Seems the boys are worse than the girls for some reason. I just stayed persistant in teaching how we are suppose to act and how we are not suppose to act. Started the 1-2-3 count and standing in the corner some of the time and sit some of the time. He will grow out of it. Also, he is at the age to explore his world around him like pouring things out and feeling of all the different textures. Smells, you name it. I don't know how we ever managed to get thru it but we did. At that age you just about can't take your eyes off them. So leaving him alone in a room with another child to watch tv will spell out a disaster. They have not learned the right and wrong ways to play with others yet and not to fight over toys and such. It will be a while yet before they can be trusted to play alone at a friends house.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Quoting Seagodess:

Quoting fragglerockette:

Hes 2! ? !!!!

Agreed.

Has he played with her before? Does he play with kids his age regularly? Maybe that has something to do with it too. I would suggest monitoring him a little more when he is around other kids. Dont let them be alone for more than a few minutes.

Yes, he's played with her before a few times, he loves her & he's been in daycare since he was 4 months old. So he's with other kids at least 4 hours a day on weekdays.

This is my first child so I didnt know if this was just part of terrible two's or what. And like the PP said, boys seem to have it rougher than girls? The little girl was a doll.. I mean occasionally she'd fight back in defense but other than that she was just calm & chilled out.

Its just really stressfull & embarassing when he acts out like this & his dad is gone (he's in the military) which makes it 10 times even more stressfull. Argh..

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

After the tv anf febreeze incidents I would have kept him with me since he wasn't willing to behave. Kids at that age can be mean, because they don't think about it and don't really realize the consequences of their acctions. I still check on my kids every few minutes, because they have a way of finding something to do that gets them in trouble.

ms_mommy_sue
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Quoting ElijahsMommy58:

Ok, maybe not beat him. I dont beat my child but Omg, I was so furious with him. We were at my friends house. Her DH is about to deploy & she's going home during deployment so I wont see her for a year. Anyway, she has a 2 year old daughter, the same age as my son.

First, they were upstairs watching TV & he kept turning it off. I repeatedly told him we dont touch the tv. He said okay & that was the end of it. So I thought, he kept doing it so I swatted his bottom.

Then, we hear Maddy screaming so we go upstairs (they were playing & watching tv in the bedroom) & Elijah had gotten the Febreeze & sprayed it all over the room & on himself & Maddy. Nice.

Then this is the last thing that did it. Apparantly she did something to piss him off & he scratched her & tore her necklace off her neck. Broke the flippin chain!!! I offered to buy a new chain & told my friend over & over how sorry I was. She said it wasnt a big deal to her, but that her DH may be angry. (Which I dont blame him one bit, I was furious with my son as well for doing that.)

I just dont know what to say...I'm shocked at his behavior. He's only two. Is this part of the terrible two's? Am I doing something wrong? I mean he was a little monster. Now it was way past his bedtime & they were both tired but still..that kind of behavior has no excuse. I just needed to vent. I cant believe my child behaved the way he did..

honestly kids need to be taught the limits and they can not be taught unless they push the edge a lot. but the two highlighted red items will explain most of it

gettinserious
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Honestly, I would never have sent two 2 year olds upstairs to play unsupervised - especially since it was past bedtime, etc.  It's just asking for trouble.

smarshy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I don't think you should have left them alone for so long and so unsupervised. ESPECIALLY after he started acting up.

PAbbs09
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM

At the first occurrence of bad behavior I would have talked to him, at the second he would have been punished and I would have monitored him more closely. There wouldn't have been a 3rd and 4th time, because at two times he was clearly on a roll and left to do whatever 'he thought' was ok. Apparently you were leaving a 2 year old to make reasonable decisions. I wouldn't have done that. I realize your frustration though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)