Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday party prices?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:19 AM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: How much would you spend on a birthday party?

Options:

100-300

300-600

600-900

1000+

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

Just curious how much you spend on your child's bday parties or plan to spend if you have not had a birthday party yet for your lil one.

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count"

click for my eyeshadow looks

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM

I don't really do parties by a certain budget... I just do what the birthday child (generally my 8 year old, considering my 4 month old hasn't yet put in a request lol) wants. I have spent well over $1,000 before.... if you are including gifts in the price, then I would say well over $2,000. I have spent as little as $300 when all that she wanted was a sleepover with her bestfriends and to have me take them to a 3D movie (this last birthday), have pizza, ice cream sundaes back at the house etc.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

nothingbutgirls
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:24 AM

What do you mean? On the party its self? Or on the party and the gifts? 

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:29 AM

I said $100-300

DS has had 2 b-days.

His first one was at Chuck E Cheese. We didn't do the reservation, just a walk in, so we didn't pay for that. We bought a few pizza's, tokens and cake. We had about 20-30 people (adults and kids) and I would say we spent under $100.

His 2nd bday was at a park. Free. We brought a BBQ'r, drinks, cake and some decorations. Again under $100 I think. MIL did bring some food as well, but I still think it was under 100.

I dont think we will ever spend a whole lot of money on a b-day party. Especially not for the first few years. They dont remember it anyways. I know my 5yr old nephew doesn't even remember his 4th b-day party.

I actually read a article in a family magazine about how the kids can contribute in planning a party on a budget. Tell a kid they have $100 (or whatever) amount to spend. They automatically think that is a TON of money and can get anything. Then have them start looking at things they want for the party (decorations, food, entertainment, ect). Once they start looking at the price of things, and realize they cant have EVERYTHING, they will prioritize and understand better. This is what I plan on doing with DS.

ETA- Ok if you include gifts it would be a little bit more. Since he is only 2, we dont buy him anything extravigant. We only get him a couple little toys and clothes. He get so much stuff from other people. Plus we dont want to spoil him.

Pna1Dra6on
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Just on the party itself

Quoting nothingbutgirls:

What do you mean? On the party its self? Or on the party and the gifts? 

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count"

click for my eyeshadow looks

Vinsmomma
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I always have a budget of lie 3 to 4 hundred dollars but always with out a doubt spend a whole lot more.. My sons last bday party we ended up spending about a grand.. But that included getting the carpet cleaned and having a maid come.. Its lame but my parties are always awesome.. haha oops Myhusband doesnt care though..

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:32 AM

My DD is 9 and hasn't had a party yet. We buy stuff for them but when it comes time to do the invites she only wants 2 friends so I just take them to the movies. So I didn't vote but we have tried for a luau the last 3 years so I would say I am up to about $500 in stuff so far and will be more by next year. I buy the stuff on sale and put it away. We joke that by the time she wants to have a big party it will be an awesome sweet 16. LOL

Sue660
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I try to spend as little as possible. usually its just a sleep over for my daughter. I have spent over 100 on her. but not very often. my dd birthday is near easter so its kinda hard for her to have a party. (one year it was the day before easter)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)