Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

got another problem...my wisdom tooth is infected...

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM
  • 13 Replies

My lower back wisdom tooth is infected. I dont have any insurance so I can not just go see a dentist, I usually just deal with the pain because it comes and goes all the time. This time it is really bad and infected. I can not stand the pain anymore. If I go to the er will they take it out for me or will they make me go see a dentist?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shortfuse007
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM

They'll most likely give you antibiotics and a pain killer like Tylenol 3 (it has codeine) and give you the number to the nearest health dept with a dental office.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

baby development

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009 BABIES GROUP OWNER
jillbailey26
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

You would have to go to a dentist or oral surgeon.  The ER will give you a prescription for an antibiotic.

MzSeXyC
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM

i think you will have to see a dentist. i dont think the ER will remove a tooth (but i could be wrong)

do you have any dental clinics in your area for low income/uninsured people? where they will see you based on your income? i dunno what else you can do.

ang0708
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

oh ok that is what me and my dh thought too. that sucks cause i dont have the cash to pay for up front.

crazypinkzebra
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Seriously make sure you go to the appoinment if you make one.  I had that happen with me but with a front tooth and I let the infection get so bad that I ended up having to get a bone transplant all on my left cheek area because the infection ate all the bone away.  Good luck with everything though. 

CafeMom Tickers
ang0708
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

OMG, you just scared me...i will for sure find somewhere to take this damn tooth out.

Quoting crazypinkzebra:

Seriously make sure you go to the appoinment if you make one.  I had that happen with me but with a front tooth and I let the infection get so bad that I ended up having to get a bone transplant all on my left cheek area because the infection ate all the bone away.  Good luck with everything though. 

crazypinkzebra
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Quoting ang0708:

OMG, you just scared me...i will for sure find somewhere to take this damn tooth out.

Quoting crazypinkzebra:

Seriously I am not trying to scare you but when your body is telling you something you really cant ignore it.  I decided to ignore it and I had to pay the price.  If you take care of it then it wont get bad like mine did.  That and it will be a whole hell of a lot cheaper to just get the tooth out then what I had done!

CafeMom Tickers
ang0708
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM

i'm for sure gonna have it checked out..guess now i gotta wait till tom since it's a holiday today..

brandithesuperm
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

You may can find a dentist who will do a payment plan with you. Also I don't know how it is in your area but in my town we have 2 dentist and neither one pulls wisdom teeth. They send you to an oral surgeon and they usually won't pull a tooth that's infected they'll give you some antibiotics first. I'd just call around tomorrow and see what you can find out. Good Luck

Shortfuse007
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant and have an impacted wisdom tooth myself. The pain was God awful and my OB put me on antibiotics because it became infected.Thankfully, I do have insurance, but no one will touch me because I'm pregnant. So I have to wait until after I deliver my baby to have it pulled.

Tylenol rapid release (extra strength) tablets are awesome for the pain, but be careful how many you take in a 24 hr period and for how long you take them (it can affect your liver)..so that's a short term solution for the pain til you can get to the ER or dentist this week. 

Also, after you have it pulled: take a lipton tea bag, put it into hot water, like you're making tea..let it seep for a minute, then drain the dripping water from it. Do not drain ALL the water from it, just enough so it doesn't drip, and gently place that ontop of your stitch(es)--shove it in your mouth lol, and hold it gently with a relaxed jaw grip. Keep it in the there for about 5 minutes or until it cools and then rinse your mouth with cool water. It will help you heal so much faster. (I had two wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago and the dental hygienist told me this little trick. Worked WONDERS! And it helps keep the swelling down.)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

baby development

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009 BABIES GROUP OWNER
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)