Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about breast feeding

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was just wondering for those of you who had c-sections. When did your milk start to come on. I am going on day 5 now and nothing. I pump every feeding because she is not latching at all. I was just wondering due to the fact I was hoping to at least pump and not have to formula feed. Not that I think formula feeding is bad; just a personal choice.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
katieBennett
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

i have no idea did you ask a nurse or your doctor or the breast feeding consultant at your hospital they can tell you if you need to do something different or if its fine

KCollins81
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Yeah I am doing what they told me to do. They said it could take longer than a normal to come in. I was just wondering thats all.

Quoting katieBennett:

i have no idea did you ask a nurse or your doctor or the breast feeding consultant at your hospital they can tell you if you need to do something different or if its fine

Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I would defiantely call a lactation consultant, as it sounds you could be on the road to some problems.

My milk for ds1 after my c-sec. came in on day 5, but he had been nursing regularly.  It came in a bit sooner for ds2.

The pump is not as effective as the baby, and proper milk stimulation is really important for establishign supply.

You may also want to call a LLL leader in your area - I did that in a pinch once and they were really helpful. Their phone numbers were on their local website.

Hang in there - these problems can be worked out - but I would really start trying to get your little one to latch.  It is a learned skill, and the bottle is MUCH easier than the breast - so he  may not want to "work" for the milk if he is not transitioned over shortly...

Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Yeah - i think that can be normal - especially for a first time mom.  Day 5 was my magic number...

Quoting KCollins81:

Yeah I am doing what they told me to do. They said it could take longer than a normal to come in. I was just wondering thats all.

Quoting katieBennett:

nikki241
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Ive never had a c-section but my bff did and she said her milk came in on day 5, everyone will be different tho, just ask your midwife! good luck and congrats on the baby!

katieBennett
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

yea i am breastfeeding also my son is 7 weeks old and when he was born i had preclampsia so i had to have magnesium so my milk didnt come in right away either i think mine was about 5 days also before it came in completely so i wouldnt worry if your doing what they say

Mommy2twoboyz22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Ive never had a c section but you may wanna try a supplemental nurser.your local wic office should be able to give you one
I am a 22 year old christian,church-going,bible-believing married sahm who formula feeds,bottle props,uses cio method,spanks,loves to sing but not in public,loves sleeping,my mom is my best friend,very opinionated in my beliefs,pro-life no matter what,dont support the action of being gay or lesbian,holy ghost speaking in tongues believer thats who i am and it will never change!
ap.sahm
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM

ask the experts @ La Leche League CafeMom! www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom

CLICK ANY ICON TO FIND SOME GREAT GROUPS!

APCHRISTIANS    LLLCAFEMOM       NATURAL

Becki.Nagy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I didn't require c-section, but am breast feeding my new baby, try pumping every 3 hrs. to stimilate the breasts, and putting her to breast more frequently for stimulation as well, also if babies not latching well ask your Dr. to introduce u to the nipple shield, this helped my baby a great deal w/ feeding problems, best of luck to u and don't get discouraged hon, your not alone w/ problems, but sometimes there are way's around them!!! God Bless!! Becki.Nagy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)