Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gold rash from rings?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:59 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have this rash where my rings were. Excuse the odd look of my hand I have a birthmark.  I looked at the rings themselves and they aren't dirty or anything they are 14k gold and have never broke me out before. I have another ring on my other hand and it left a rash there too.

I heard low iron could cause it and it's that time of the month but I've never had this happen before.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mcphersonkj
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Low iron would not cause that! Did you come in contact with any kind of cleaner? That could have caused a reaction.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Nothing unusual and it doesn't itch or hurt etc... it's just black exactly where my rings were.

Quoting mcphersonkj:

Low iron would not cause that! Did you come in contact with any kind of cleaner? That could have caused a reaction.

betsyabel
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I did a quick search and found something that says sometimes skin secretions and perspiration contain chemicals that react with other metals in the gold alloy, leaving a residue or rash. The jewellers association suggests that this can happen when changes occur in body chemistry such as when you're pregnant or during your period.  Hope this helps.

Angelbluewingsz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Maybe you developed and allergy .. I am allergic to nickle so I can't wear gold. Go to a site like web MD and ask about metal reactions... could be you are lacking something or could be a sign of something serious- since you have no other symptoms it doesn't sound serious but it never hurts to ask around. - Good luck!

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I too did a quick search and came across this site: http://www.finishing.com/337/58.shtml  Maybe it is a useful place to start for you.  I would post it, but it is quite long. 

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I bought a new kind of diaper cream and my dd was rolling around so I got it on my hands I didn't think of it till just now. I had always heard the low iron thing and have  a history of anemia so I was scared that might be it.

Thanks everyone. It was probably just that time of the month or the diaper cream i guess.

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Could be the diaper cream.  Is it zinc oxide?  I wonder if that reacted with the gold and caused it.

Quoting angelachristine:

I bought a new kind of diaper cream and my dd was rolling around so I got it on my hands I didn't think of it till just now. I had always heard the low iron thing and have  a history of anemia so I was scared that might be it.

Thanks everyone. It was probably just that time of the month or the diaper cream i guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)