Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats so wrong about me not letting him drink caffeine?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 33 Replies

My son went to his grandma's (MIL) yesterday and she asked me to run to the store for her  and she said she'd keep him while i went. So i was gone about 20 mins and when i get back she said he sure does love Coke and Tea. I said what??? she said well he saw me drinkin it and asked for some so he drank a whole glass of coke and and whole glass of tea.. What makes me mad is she KNOWS i dont let him drink it.. It makes him wild litterally!and plus its not good for his teeth either!  Yes if someone is drinking some like out of a mc donalds cup he'll have a sip but thats it!!! It just upsets me because she knows he acts out when he drinks it... why do ppl have to do stuff like that?? ughh! I know some moms let there kids drink it and they dont have a problem with it but i dont lol..

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOf2kids67
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

yeah my parents do that to me too...drives me nuts my sisters do it too....Luke cant have chocolate cause it gives him a nasty ass rash on his bum ...and everytime someone gives him chocolate i am dealing with a rash from hell even though i told them that he cant have it! i have to hide any soda id rink cause the kids will find it and drink it.

jajamama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

i  flipp out when people do stuff like that my son only drinks milk water and crystal lite because of some wieght issues he cant have juice and everyone thinks oh well a little wont kill him well yea but i have  big family and if each one gives him a little then it does add up. oh and i give him hawian punch but its a sugar free kind and people look at me like omg she wont let him touch soda but she gives him that well yea but its sugar free

CafeMom Tickers
madhouseof5
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM

my older two had problems with drinks and food

way back about 18 years ago when they were little

I would have to take juice in with no E numbers in and fresh fruit It was before much was know about the link between E numbers and caffeine affecting children's behavior

The Other mums at school and play group thought  I was being nasty to the children not letting them have sweets and juice

My children went wild and would act up something shocking And the next day they would be on such a downer

My oldest son still will not drink coffee and hes 24  years old he says he still gets a buzz from it and does not like the way it feels LOL

Marie811
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM

My oldest daughter is four and I don't let her have caffeine. My parents do the same thing. Except they sneak it to her because they know I don't want her to have it. My sister does it also. She has a daughter six days younger than mine and says children need pop and candy. My daughter doesn't get hyper, I don't want her teeth to fall out, and it's not healthy for their bodies. I guess other people just don't think about the effects of caffeine.

ang0708
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM

i know what you mean my mil is the same damn way. I dont allow my kids to drink sodas either. my mil thinks oh look she likes it. of course she does. My ss is adhd and i do not allow him to drink anything with caffiene my mil does and then she is calling me complaining that he is so damn hyper..i take my time to go get him..just so she can learn her damn lesson. she hasn't yet..hmmmm

kalebsmommy107
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I don't let my son drink caffeine either.  Only if we have fast food or at a restaurant.  My mother does the same thing and it drives me nuts too, so I feel for you!!

foreveryoung84
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM

haha I would have left and let her deal with him going crazy. she gave it to him she deal with it.. bet u she never would give it to him again. i did that to my mother in law, and it worked very well lol

Mother of 4  Nicholas Andre',Cerina Renee,Emma May and Benjamin Blaze

awooding
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Ohhh, my mother-in-law did this to me for the 6 mos I was living with her. And my husband helped HER, not ME. I tried telling her not to do it in every nice way possible. I finally blew up on her and it stopped. Unfortunately it was too late. My daughter had already developed an unhealthy taste for sugar and junk food. Now I'm working double-time to try and fix it, but it's pretty bad at this point. Nothing pisses me off more than what my mother-in-law has done to my child's health. I don't know if I can ever forgive her for it.

~~~

Money may help you get by in life,

but it can't teach you how to enjoy it.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I did that with my Daughter. NO caffeine.  I guess my family respected me because no one argued. Then I went in the hospital and my parents were 6 hours away. So I called the only person I knew to pick her up.  She was 5 at the time. They let her have a soda.  

Her heart was racing, her blood pressure went up, my parents couldn't get her to stop screaming, so they took her to the ER. Apparently that soda was a Mt. Dew. (my kids both have blood pressure issues. It's a lovely family trait.)

I was pissed. Over the top pissed. She was ok... obviously... but damn, my friend knew she wasn't allowed soda.

My son is the opposite. He has mild, very mild ADHD and I use caffeine to calm him.

My daughter is 15 now and every time she can sneak a soda she does and it still turns her crazy.

I don't know why people cannot obey a mothers rules. Everyone thinks they know more.

foreveryoung84
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

that happened to my son. he got used to greasy unhealthy foods the one month we crashed at my mother in law.  but it was not very  hard to change him. just don't buy any sweets or junk food. if all u have is healthy foods he will it it when hungry. my son now loves fruit and veggies. he never drinks soda, only milk and sometimes healthy juice. he asks for a apple or banana before he asks for anything else when hungry for a snack. only unhealthy thing i have let him keep is pizza rolls for lunch once a week. never chips or anything else like that. so just clear ur home of unhealthy things and within a week or 2 ur child will be loving the healthy stuff cause that's all u got..

Mother of 4  Nicholas Andre',Cerina Renee,Emma May and Benjamin Blaze

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)